SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 1 again for me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/331223-day-1-again-me.html)

anewpage 05-06-2014 04:55 AM

Day 1 again for me

So this is it. All the alcohol is gone out of my house. I am not buying any more and I have told my husband to not get me any more either (because he would always give in to my pleading SO easily). I'm actually getting a new cat today so I'm hoping that he'll be able to distract me from the cravings and bad mood that always come with Day 1.

This is my... fifth attempt at sobriety within the past year. Praying that this time will be the last.

JohnnySober99 05-06-2014 04:58 AM

Good luck, anewpage.

anewpage 05-06-2014 05:02 AM

THanks... I am also seriously considering AA this time, since my other attempts obviously haven't worked, I need something extra.

Ghostlight1 05-06-2014 05:37 AM

AA is a great idea. I found it invaluable. It's worth a try, right? I do hope it works for you. You never have to drink again.

nmd 05-06-2014 05:39 AM

the important thing is you are still trying. It's a tough road but you certainly have company, good luck

Croissant 05-06-2014 05:43 AM

Good luck....new chapter! :)

anewpage 05-06-2014 09:35 AM

Well, it's 12:30pm and the cravings are coming on strong. Trying to ignore the alcoholic voice in my head but it's getting louder. Thankfully, there is no alcohol available for me, and I have no way of getting any either. It's just exhausting having this battle in my head against myself ALL the time. :(

Verte 05-06-2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by anewpage (Post 4634921)
Well, it's 12:30pm and the cravings are coming on strong...It's just exhausting having this battle in my head against myself ALL the time. :(

Hi anewpage...can you stay busy, physically active, cleaning something, listening to music and working?

You can do this! Get through the seconds, minutes, an hour and then a second hour. Keep it simpler for today?

bloss 05-06-2014 09:44 AM

Yes, those urges are so tiring. Just don't worry about later in the day, try taking the day in small parts, like I won't drink for the next 2 hours, then renew the commitment. Do whatever it takes to put off that first drink, read around here. Read a book or whatever, watch a movie, do some chore, whatever puts off the drink. All sorts of support groups out there that work for many. Take care

Nonsensical 05-06-2014 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by anewpage (Post 4634921)
It's just exhausting having this battle in my head against myself ALL the time. :(

Turning it into a battle is optional. Try observing it for a while. Sometimes I close my eyes and breathe deeply and contemplate my urge to drink.

Look, there's an urge. I wonder what brought that on. I wonder how long it will decide to stay here. I wonder when it will figure out that it is wasting its time.

It takes a little practice, but you can be an observer of your own emotions.

Best of Luck on Your Journey! :ring

LBrain 05-06-2014 10:52 AM

good to here of your new found strength and resolve.

Perhaps try to find a meeting ASAP if you can get to one. AA is a good start. It will get you out of your comfort zone at least.

Stoogy 05-06-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by anewpage (Post 4634429)
So this is it. All the alcohol is gone out of my house. I am not buying any more and I have told my husband to not get me any more either (because he would always give in to my pleading SO easily). I'm actually getting a new cat today so I'm hoping that he'll be able to distract me from the cravings and bad mood that always come with Day 1.

This is my... fifth attempt at sobriety within the past year. Praying that this time will be the last.

I think the new cat will bid a great distraction to help take your mind off alcohol.

If you learned at least one lesson each time you attempted in the past and use them to your advantage then this time you should be much better equipped to do this.

anewpage 05-06-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stoogy (Post 4635084)
I think the new cat will bid a great distraction to help take your mind off alcohol.

If you learned at least one lesson each time you attempted in the past and use them to your advantage then this time you should be much better equipped to do this.

Oh yes.. the lesson I learned each time is that the inner alcoholic voice is a LIAR. Every time it told me that "just one drink" would make me feel better, and each time one drink led to one bottle of vodka, and the result for me was guilt, self hatred and physical self harm (when I get really drunk, I get disgusted with myself and cut).

So this afternoon I have kept myself busy with the new cat, and I've done a lot of cleaning. It keeps my mind busy and it's productive. Win win situation, right?!

I'm also focusing my mind on the weight I will lose. ALcohol made me gain at least 25 lbs in the past couple of years.

seanie1888 05-06-2014 11:32 AM

I wish you the best :)

Dee74 05-06-2014 05:09 PM

Hi anewpage - welcome back :)

Yeah I really urge you to think about new things to add to whatever you've been doing.

If you keep going back to drinking I think it makes sense to refine your personal programme.

Why not join the Class of May support thread (also in this forum) as one extra element? :)

D

GotGrace 05-06-2014 05:13 PM

Welcome back to SR, anewpage!

least 05-06-2014 05:20 PM

A sober life is really worth the effort it takes to get it. :)

Kris47 05-06-2014 05:30 PM

Anewpage,

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps64a81a3b.jpg

Don't look back.......... that's not the way you're going.

We're doing it with you.

neferkamichael 05-06-2014 05:34 PM

Anewpage, you can do it, rootin for ya. :egypt:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...bEs-hueV38OBbA

Thepatman 05-06-2014 05:40 PM

Happy you are back. You seem determined to kick this to the curb, I am proud of you. We all are!