Notices

Slippin.....

Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slippin.....

Gargled with mouthwash and didn't spit it out....
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Charlie...

How about you start with dumping the mouthwash. What is going on? Anything in particular going on that is causing you to struggle?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What can we do to help? Dumping out the mouthwash would be a good idea to start with
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I will dump it out. I have known it's been in there for over a year, having a rough night....
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've drank mouthwash before, I've told my family if it's in the house to hide it from me. I drank it not to many times but I was so terrified of the effects I stopped.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good move...no sense in turning a rough night into a worse morning!

Maybe it will help to talk about what has you upset tonight. Sometimes just getting it off your chest to other people helps alleviate the strain a bit.

We are here and ready to listen.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my cousin drank Listerine until it killed him
Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

This is awfully dangerous. Just dump the bottle and get back to whatever you were doing for your recovery. I drank listerine way back (we are talking almost 15 years ago) when i was in the midst of the insanity. Believe me, you don't want to go there.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just arguing with my husband, he is getting really insecure and jealous all of the sudden. It seems like he is trying to control everything I do...
Old 05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
orangutan

Charliee I am so sorry to hear your doing this.
Please get rid of it for your own safety.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's gone, it wasn't much but it kinda scared me!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are having a tough night, Charliee. I hope you dump the mouthwash and get a good night of sleep. Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It scared me because I have been sober over a year and I felt myself slipping away, like I am just about to lose it all. I don't want to start over and I sure don't want to go through that hell again
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking mouthwash is pretty serious Charliee - not to mention dangerous.
What else do you do for your recovery besides SR?

D
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job tossing it!

I don't know what your exact situation, but I had similar issues with my husband. For so long I he felt like he was "taking care of me" while I was actively drinking. From doing all the wine runs to the store, to always doing the driving, he did many of the cleaning chores around the house etc.

Since I have been sober, I am much more productive, and don't rely on him so much to "take care of things". I have also started to care about my appearance again...lost over 100 pounds, make regular strips to the salon, and buy pretty new clothes.

I think he feels threatened some times, even though there is no need. I think it takes time for spouses to adjust to our sober living. Hope you and hubby smooth things over.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
oak

I hope things feel better soon. Do you have enough support? Would therapy or a group help?

I have 1.5 years sober, and I know it is so unsettling to feel like sobriety is slipping away. I have relapsed a few times, and it amazes me how much harder it is to get sober again, compared to staying sober even with cravings.

Glad you are posting here!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Charliee, good for you on dumping it out. I'm sorry you are going through a tough time with your husband. My husband went through those phases and it made me crazy. It is hard. Is there anyone you can call to talk to about it? Sometimes it is scary to other people when their partner or someone close to them changes. They try to make things the way they were by controlling the other person because they are afraid they will be left behind. At least that is what happened with me. Hang in there.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not much anymore. I just stopped going to therapy, I went for over a year. I really can't afford it anymore, used to go to meetings once in awhile, so I really don't do much besides SR
Old 05-05-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't want to belabour the point, but I think we get out of our recovery what we put into it.

A car that you only run once a year is probably not going to come through for you in a crisis.

Noone wants you to go backwards.

Push back a little on your addiction. do a little thinking about what more you could do - offer some resistance, Charliee

D
Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Charliee.

I remember that you commented a few months ago that you were tired of having recovery occupy so much of your thoughts and your time, that you wanted a break from all the focus on recovery in your life. I think that most of us go through something like that. Sobriety loses its luster, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, and we often yearn for something more.

I took a break from my recovery after about twelve years or so, and it was the beginning of a slow and painful relapse. For the next thirteen years I made compromises in the way I worked, in my relationships my self respect and in being honest with myself and others. It was a slow, insidious process at first, but once I stopped taking care of myself the way I had for the first twelve years of my sobriety, the walls started crashing down all around me. It took me thirteen years to close the circle of my inevitable relapse by actually picking up a drink.

My drinking was as innocent as such a thing can be at first, but I was soon much worse off than I ever was. I lost everything and everyone dear to me during my three-year relapse, and it was extremely difficult for me to get sober the second time around. I was miserable or close to it during my first year back, and it's taken a great deal of work on my part and a great deal of support from others, including AA and therapy, to set things right. It also took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get back into my field professionally, and there are some things that I broke and that I lost that I can never get back.

You really don't want to go back to that very dark place.