Notices

Time for a change

Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time for a change

Hello, new to this site. I've decided that today is the day that I'm ready to make some changes. I've been a binge drinker for 15 years and although I don't drink daily, it has caused so much pain and misery in my life and every time I drink I think, why? Life is so much better when I don't drink! I hate that I can 't just have a couple of drinks and stop at that. I've tried that before and I've failed time after time and I just can't do it anymore. This weekend was the final straw. For me, I get severe anxiety and panic attacks about 24 hours after I stop drinking, can't sleep, etc. The most terrible, awful feelings ever. I never want to feel that way again. I know I'm up for a huge challenge and I'm scared I will fail and feel that way again. My husband wants to cut back his drinking, so I worry I will fail because he likes to still drink. I just know that he doesn't suffer like I do, so I have to be strong and just remember how horrible drinking is for me, personally. Maybe if I set the example, he will follow. Wish me luck!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! great to have you onboard!!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome TimeForChange. The panic and anxiety was one of the main reasons I quit too, I got to the point where I had do drink every day just to stave it off. It has gotten FAR better after I quit drinking though, you've made a good decision. You can learn a lot here at SR, and don't be afraid to see your doctor if you feel you will need assistance in detoxing. It can get rough, downright dangerous sometimes if you quit cold turkey. Be safe and read lots, ask lots of questions too.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nmd

welcome!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm with you. Good luck. Let's do this.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. Glad to be here.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome I need a change too. I can't do it anymore.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Making the choice to stop drinking was the best thing I ever did for myself. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by TimeforChange14 View Post
Hello, new to this site. I've decided that today is the day that I'm ready to make some changes. I've been a binge drinker for 15 years and although I don't drink daily, it has caused so much pain and misery in my life and every time I drink I think, why? Life is so much better when I don't drink! I hate that I can 't just have a couple of drinks and stop at that. I've tried that before and I've failed time after time and I just can't do it anymore. This weekend was the final straw. For me, I get severe anxiety and panic attacks about 24 hours after I stop drinking, can't sleep, etc. The most terrible, awful feelings ever. I never want to feel that way again. I know I'm up for a huge challenge and I'm scared I will fail and feel that way again. My husband wants to cut back his drinking, so I worry I will fail because he likes to still drink. I just know that he doesn't suffer like I do, so I have to be strong and just remember how horrible drinking is for me, personally. Maybe if I set the example, he will follow. Wish me luck!

I wish you the best of luck, well done.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and best of luck. I'm only on day 13 but the SR family has helped me through this tough period...