Notices

Newbie...Oxy Hell

Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie...Oxy Hell

Hey all. New here, registered tonight and saying hi y'all! I'm clean as of 4/17/14 from a fairly low scale, 5 year Vicodin habit that was followed by a little over 1 year Oxycontin and Oxycodone run that quickly blew out of control like a hydra from Greek legend.

I broke my neck in the 80's, C5 and C6 compression fracture and then the dreaded age, arthritis, and stenosis began wearing me down around 2005. That would be the mini synopsis. Waving.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Druwyd

D
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks Dee
Old 05-05-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hi Druwyd. I too had a bad oxy problem. Some doctors should be charged as drug dealers. Happy to say I am clean as of 4/13/14. Lots of supportive people here.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aye, looks like a great place and thanks ScrewdUpInDe. I'm ready for a bit more feeling better, but things are improving.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Druwyd - welcome. Do you still have chronic pain from the neck injury? If so, do you have a plan to deal with that long-term (without narcotics)?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

OpioPhobe bring up an important question. I personally switched from my pain management Dr to my family Dr, I told him the truth and we are working on it. I know he won't give me pills just to shut me up.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm working with my Primary doc, no hiding there. In fact I started there on 4/17 and went directly to an in-patient detox. As to ongoing pain, yep though it will be interesting to see how much pain is truly still there and how much I psyched myself into perceiving. I've tried PT, core strengthening, massage among the therapies, not very successfully. Next plan includes acupuncture, acupressure, pressure point massage, hitting the gym 2-4 per week and at least once daily walks till the snow and ice fly again. The bone chilling cold of this place does magnify the pain so there is some chat about heading south closer to where I grew up. Sprinkle in some AA and NA meetings and stir.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Considering the fairly wide array of substances I experimented with from age 13 till around 26 it's a bit surprising nothing got me by the throat until the Oxy. I binged booze on week ends and smoked pot in high school, upped the booze and pot my first 2 years of college, dabbled a couple three times with acid and shrooms, a few experiments with coke lines. Then I bust my neck, transfer colleges and the drinking eases way down, the pot reduces substantially and interest in the other drugs just blows away. Then on to grad school...the drinking ramps up but nothing else. Finally out of school for about four years and the drinking gets tossed into the bin of disinterest. Kind of rambling and ruminating here but as I look back sure seems I was on a tight rope that could have diced me up but for luck and the grace of my particular pagan higher power.