Notices

I have had a huge revelation

Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have had a huge revelation

Hi to all from Australia. My wife left me about 4 months ago and left me with my 2 teenage daughters. Since then every time they go to stay at their mother's place, I hit the booze big time, and it is escalating to a point that I cannot believe how much alcohol I am consuming in each session. It is just spiralling out of control, and I am making some VERY bad decisions whilst I am highly intoxicated. I wake up the next day with such horrible and crippling feelings of shame and remorse, and promise myself I won't behave so badly next time. Of course as soon as I get drunk, the poor decisions and woeful behaviour return. Things I would never do in a million years whilst I am sober. I was walking on the beach this morning when a thought hit me like a ton of bricks. I do not make heaps of very bad decisions, I only make one very bad decision, and that is to drink alcohol. It changes me from a really nice , rational, responsible and happy person, into a complete ******* who does not give a crap about anybody or any thing. I need to totally get real and admit to myself that I have absolutely no chance of controlling my alcohol intake once I take the first drink, so need to not have that first one. I really do not want my drinking to destroy me anymore, and truly hope I can make a stand this time against my major enemy in life. I have been dishonest with myself for long enough, and need to face the brutal truth.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Greg, and thanks for joining.

I have also "lost my off switch." SoberRecovery is an important part of my recovery. It helps to read around and post often!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Greg

Sounds like a real a-ha moment - you'll find a ton of help and support here

D
Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Greg , welcome to SR. I am another Aussie who doesn't know when to stop.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

This awareness of your relationship with alcohol is critical to your success. Ponder it well and deeply, and choose a life without this shame and guilt. You deserve it, and you can have it. If you can`t stop once you start, it seems an easy thing to solve. This is only as difficult as you choose to make it.

You can do it. Lots of people do it, and you can decide right this moment to be one of them. Onward!