Notices

Need help

Old 05-04-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need help

Hi. I just joined SR today. I have been looking for help to quit binge-drinking and hopefully this is (at least) part of the answer. I feel like my world is going to spiral out of control if I don't do something now. My husband used to binge-drink with me sometimes but he decided to stop last January and, just like that, he did. I've wanted to quit for several years now but I just keep doing it - what is wrong with me? I used to rarely drink but over the past 10 years I it picked up and now I feel like I'm not even me anymore! I hate drinking and hate myself for doing it.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

If you want to stop drinking you've come to the right place.

The negative feelings towards yourself are so typical of alcoholics. It's the way the disease works. It keeps you feeling so bad about yourself that you continue to drink and, of course, continue to feel bad about yourself. So, be brave and step out of the cycle.

It's likely that your husband is not an alcoholic so it was not so hard for him to stop. It will be harder for you, but you can do it.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Don't worry about how you got here, addiction is progressive, I personally started with having 1 beer a night and that spiralled to a half bottle of spirits a night within a few years, it is the nature of addiction, so don't beat yourself up over it.

You'll find loads of support here on SR, it all starts with a Day 1, we all had to start somewhere!!

You can do it too!!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What is wrong with you is that you likely are an alcoholic and if you are it will get worse as you already have discovered.

Do a lot of reading and posting. For me it took nearly dieing, professional help, and AA but there are other paths
Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome clearwater. It's great to meet you.

I'm glad you realize what alcohol is doing to your life. Some refuse to acknowledge it. You've reached out for support and you will find it here at SR. We're here to help.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and you are in the right place. I don't think you would have joined unless you realized that alcohol has a hold on your life. I started small which quickly spiraled out of control. The only requirement is the desire to stop drinking.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. There's a lot of support and useful info here so take advantage of it and read and post all you like. We're here to support you until you can support yourself.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better man in progress!

If u want to stop drinking theres only one way... STOP DRINKING

I believe in u welcome to sr!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am 6 weeks sober, and have found tremendous support on this site. I don't feel alone anymore, and neither should you. Once you decide to stop drinking, it will be a bumpy ride, but honestly, if I can do it, so can you.