Notices

Starting today

Old 05-04-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting today

Hi there. I have to say that I am terrified posting this. I feel that if I fail you guys will kick me out of this forum or something like that. Nonetheless I dont want to fail so here it goes. I have been trying to quit heavy drinking for years now, but I always find an excuse to minimize it. I am 37 yrs old and at this point the hangovers are getting worse and I find myself in a vicious cycle where I have to drink the next day to start feeling normal again. Today I am breaking it.

I have read about 9 books already and there is no doubt in my mind that I have a serious drinking problem. I just need to act, and I am starting today.

Thanks for reading. All comments are really welcome.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Joyfully, it's great to meet you - and no, we would never turn our backs on you for struggling to get sober. Not going to happen.

I wasn't sober when I first joined, but being here gave me the courage and strength I needed to let go of it. I was much older than you when I came limping in here. I had been drinking for 30 yrs. & was having the same experience you describe. I was drinking the next day to stop shaking. I was completely dependent on it when I decided I wanted to get my life back. SR worked for me - it meant so much to no longer be alone.

You can do it Joyfully - we're with you on this journey.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! . . . you'll notice in the Forum rules it doesn't say anything about slipping up, just keep trying!!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by joyfullysober View Post
Hi there. I have to say that I am terrified posting this. I feel that if I fail you guys will kick me out of this forum or something like that. Nonetheless I dont want to fail so here it goes. I have been trying to quit heavy drinking for years now, but I always find an excuse to minimize it. I am 37 yrs old and at this point the hangovers are getting worse and I find myself in a vicious cycle where I have to drink the next day to start feeling normal again. Today I am breaking it.

I have read about 9 books already and there is no doubt in my mind that I have a serious drinking problem. I just need to act, and I am starting today.

Thanks for reading. All comments are really welcome.
Hi, firstly well done on reaching this monumental decision, it is not easy to admit you have a problem but once you get beyond that point you know what you have to do.
You are still a young person and I'm so happy for you that you have decided enough is enough.
If I can help at all please just let me know.
Take care.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto for me. I've been here for seven years, under a different name, and have been sober over three. So, I came here while drinking.

I fell into that vicious cycle, too. For many years. I went to AA and found people just like me who were recovering. I didn't know that. I was full of trepidation when I came here.
What should I say? Will people hate me? But it was all in my mind. I was accepted and found support. I hope you do, too.

I was an every day drinker at the end, too.
You can quit. Use whatever means necessary. Put the effort you do as you do into drinking.
I've been where you are so there is hope.
Best to you.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words. Sometimes I wonder what its like after you have beat the addiction. What drives you to come back here after several years of sobriety? I would really like not having the monkey on my back.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Joy and welcome. I registered here in Nov 2012 and didn't start posting until July of the following year. Don't be scared, most of us have been in your shoes. Feeling alone with the knowledge that something is wrong is a tough place to be. Stick around and I have a feeling it will be a relief to find many others have been where you are.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi joyfullysober, welcome to SR
Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words. Sometimes I wonder what its like after you have beat the addiction. What drives you to come back here after several years of sobriety? I would really like not having the monkey on my back.
Many people, myself included, do not believe you EVER beat your addiction. All I have is a daily reprieve contingent on my spiritual condition. This is an AA philosophy in case you were unaware.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hi, I don't know if you can ever beat an addiction but you can certainly control it better, I am only 5 months into sobriety but I know in my heart I no longer need alcohol to function, I genuinely try to help people who are in a similar position to where I was 5 months ago.
Be strong.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome JoyfullySober...

I am Day5 post-alcohol here at SR, Joyfully Sober.

What I love so far is that I can read and post no matter where I am at in my 24hour day during this totally uncertain, unprecedented, uncertain process.

Wherever am in my head...I can come here and know that I have a voice that helps take me 'out of my own head' and into the world.

Sober! and loving it. Means nothing to most people in my 'real life' at the moment but everything to me, forever.

Today on SR is a great place to be for you IMHO. And you are definitely among true, wise friends no matter where you are in 'real life'.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome joyfullysober. Lots of support and love here.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, joyfullysober; glad you found SR.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. I have been sober the whole day and its been a long while since I've been sober on a Sunday. I feel great and connecting with you has given me hope.

I tried to detox a couple of months ago but couldn't handle the headaches, insomnia and constipation. After day 5 I drank a little again and immediately felt perfect, but it didn't take long before the abuse started again. Any thoughts?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. I got sober over four years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I come back here to help others as I was helped.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. I have been sober the whole day and its been a long while since I've been sober on a Sunday. I feel great and connecting with you has given me hope.

I tried to detox a couple of months ago but couldn't handle the headaches, insomnia and constipation. After day 5 I drank a little again and immediately felt perfect, but it didn't take long before the abuse started again. Any thoughts?
Welcome to SR joyfully! No one here will "Kick you OUT"! We are all here for the friendship, ideas and suggestions for anyone that wants to stop drinking or drugging, including ourselves! We don't judge anyone. Yes there is a price to pay when you really want to stop, but it is a very cheap one to pay for the freedom from the "Monkies" we end up with! You must fully commit to that or you will slip,fall,relapse and just postpone the agony! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 05-04-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Determined

JFS, this is a great forum with lots of good folks. Your story rings so familiar. Keep your head up and keep trying, I'm right there with you!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We have a cage here where we keep the monkeys. Occasionally one slips out but we have many people who guard the cage and try as hard as possible to wrangle them back in where they belong.

Welcome to the family. We will happily help to throw your monkey in with the rest and are here to help in case it escapes

Congrats on your decision to take your life back. I came here when I was still drinking but with some courage and strength from this forum I'm now over a year and a half sober. You can do it !!!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Joy! This a great place to be especially when you feel vulnerable or confused. I get vulnerable and confused and I can confidently say everyone else does too. Hang in!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You have landed in a good place. About a year ago your post could have been mine. I was terrified and didn't think I was worthy of anyone's help. This forum is different. The people are kind and as you grow in your sobriety you can help others. It's amazing. Don't be afraid. Keep posting. We need you here!

Be well and thank you for posting.