seems cold turkey the best

all here are advised to
put it by your doctor first

MM
Old 05-04-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keysdisease View Post
Thanks for the welcome and info.

Plans...lets see, we are trying to sell our current home, downsize and pay off some debt/bills that would take much of the financial stress and excuses for drinking away. But to date no offers on the home. :-(

I am trying to quit, not certain if "cold turkey" is the way or a decline......I only had 1 drink last evening (one normal sized not the 1 large 48 ounce glass trick "only one") and 2 Friday evening. I plan on none this evening......but I "plan" that most every evening.

But nothing "formal" as far as plans go to stop I guess.
Welcome to SR Keys! There is a lot of support on here! You have said your getting towards financial straits , yet you spend money on a 12 pack a night and a bottle on weekends , where is that money coming from? If you get a buyer for the house you say it will take the strain off? Nope, it doesn't , not when your drinking like that! You will pay some of the bills , have ready cash around and look to downsize, but at the rate you are going , I fear you will just drink more or better booze as this is a progressive thing! I thought the same thing when we refi'd the house, but it got much worse before it got better! My SO , whose house it was , also had major medical issues and I just ended up fighting with her spending the money on alcohol , blaming her for being sick and not working ! It took me to keep trying to quit and work harder and many years to get out of that hellhole and still keep the house! And even when we got back on our feet, I went back to a few , then some more then more till I got locked up for a DWI, $20000 later we are still solvent , but my REALLY WORKING on not drinking has made things a lot easier! You had lots of nice things, houses money , you can have them again ! But not with ALCOHOL! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 05-04-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks......I needed that.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

HAPPY to report in that our dog was returned this evening!!! All is good and well. And celebrating, with NO alcohol (even better)
Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Keys, Welcome to SR, as you can see I still live in Key West, so I know all about "Keys Disease". I lived it, left it, came back to it, let it get worse, and now am free of it.

Glad to hear your dog was returned.

You can recover the things you lost, it takes time and effort, and for me, the more effort I put in the less time it took.

I can head to Duval Street now and I don't even notice the bars, only the stumbling patrons doing the Duval Crawl.

Again, Welcome and Good Luck, stick around here and read/post as much as you like/need!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to hear the good news about your dog

D
Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Still have many friends (and kids and grand kids in Marathon) I am sure you can testify to the fact you NEVER really leave the Keys permanently that is. :-)
Thank you for the kind words. I am enjoying the forum and some "clarity" today. And an inner strength in dealing with the "issues" of the day that is very refreshing.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy to hear the news about your baby.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Hevyn! :-)

Thank you ALL!
Here she is my wife raised her from birth bottle fed and worked and worked. She spent the first 4 months of life blind and unable to walk, I taught her to walk...she is the most special of our 11 rescues, however they are all special from her to the 120lb lab/blood (Murphy) they are all special.

I would post pics.....but need 4 more posts first :-(
Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So this is day 4 no alcohol. Forgive my ramblings.....thought I would "post up" whats up..... Not certain what I was expecting. Brain fog is diminished, energy levels are better, but certainly not stellar equilibrium much improved. Overall demeanor, upbeat.
Occasional headaches. Somewhat "agitated" but TBTH I am ALWAYS somewhat agitated. I feel like the rest of the world is in slo-mo (especially driving) And thats why I started drinking originally ...to relax and take that EDGE off.....to "deal" with A-hole bosses and bills and debt and crap....
I do find if I channel that EDGE in to something worth while it is a much better scenario.
Fortunately we have been going through a reel rough patch (sounds odd right--but gives me LOTS too Do) my job is "borderline" our home recent flooded in torrential storms last week.......(our dog was stolen--but returned) my wife still can't find work......and our home isn't selling....and with water damage why would it!?!?! Our Son had to move home from the next town over (Fairhope) since his rental flooded and the home owner isn't going to repair the damage--or give them their deposit back!!!! (A** HOLE)
BUT all these things....any 1 of which would justify the bottle.....aren't.....I have adopted a feeling that on the drink I CAN'T deal with these things. I felt like i was down and life just kicking me for the last 4-5 years......but now I feel hopeful. Like I can do SOMETHING, quitting was/is SOMETHING. And ripping out mold covered wet carpet is SOMETHING, and meeting with FEMA inspectors and doing HOURS worth of online forms and faxes and FEMA Govt. aid stuff is SOMETHING (and I couldn't or wouldn't have done this before---I would have drank and said "F" it and been the victim--I did our house flooded in a hurricane 2 years ago....and I did none of these things....so THATS something) right?
I am over being the victim. I might lose the fight in the end but damn it I am going to fight not roll over.

I assume this is common in the first week or so???? The "empowered" feeling like a "honeymoon phase"??? You all have heard/seen/experienced this before???
Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

keep going . hit up a meeting if you can and share. It will make you feel better ...a wise man once told me .. if your going through hell keep going ..
Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I LOVE that song.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey Keys, glad to hear your are doing better. That sucks about you and your son getting nailed by that storm. I was very lucky, I'm on a little hill. Some of my neighbors didn't fare so well.

Let me know if you want to hit an AA meeting, I've been to about all of them in Baldwin & Mobile counties.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Will do. Yeah, I am on a decent sized hill....but only about midway up the water rushed down from the top of the hill and a runoff got clogged with leaves and debris....made a nice damn and backed the water up right on into the house. Not too deep just flooring issues coulda been worse.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My experiences have been sitting and listening to meetings in AA. I'm still amazed at receiving "a million dollars worth of advice for free."

I recall feeling very agitated in the beginning, yet clear-headed and upbeat at times too. But I'm a roller coaster. What ever good feelings you're having, go for it!

Keep updating us!

mejorando
Old 05-08-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keysdisease View Post
Will do. Yeah, I am on a decent sized hill....but only about midway up the water rushed down from the top of the hill and a runoff got clogged with leaves and debris....made a nice damn and backed the water up right on into the house. Not too deep just flooring issues coulda been worse.
Keys I feel for you with the flooding thing that has gone on with you and your son. We got hit pretty good with Sandy. But I don't have to tell you the circles you go round and hoops to jump through with FEMA. You never can do it right drinking, it's too much! You have to hold on , figure out how to do whatever you need to do so the runoff can't ruin you and do it . You and your son can do it together and weather this thing. Just don't let it get you down , it WILL get better! Set your goals and work on them sober and soon you will see them materialize, it may not happen as quickly as you would like but it will happen. Be strong for your family and mostly yourself, YOU CAN DO THIS! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 05-08-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks Bobby thats the plan.....and yes, I certainly couldn't handle that mountain of paperwork and Govt. circle-speak drunk!!! Most of it you have to read like 3 times just understand WTF they are asking for.... and if you actually begin the process of picking up the phone to call for help.....thats like 2 hours invested to answer a question....but it is good....it is giving me "focus" and after a few hours of messing with that crap....I am wore out tired, and ready for bed.......and BAM another day sober :-) awesome
Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You didn't ramble keys - you make perfect sense. So proud of you for making 4 days.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Congrats on your time! Everyday counts.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Saying a prayer for you guys. Keep up the good work, keys.