Notices

hi... im kate

Old 05-03-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi... im kate

Hey all. I'm feeling super insecure at the moment. I've been "moderating" but in the past few weeks the drinking has been back to on the edge of out of control. The only reason I talk to you all here is because I can't talk to anybody "out there" forbidden to admit it to friends and family ...... I have social anxiety bad. Bad BAD! Ugh. I hate admitting it all I want is to have a strong personality but deep down I feel so weak. Alcohol makes me strong. Lol. I know it doesn't. But it takes away the anxiety. So hi. How are you? I've been on this site for years btw, with no success, and that makes me feel unworthy of posting, but to all you newbies giving it a chance I urge you don't give up. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Trust me....
Old 05-03-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Kate. I am sorry you have been having a rough time.

Keep talking to us.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kate, we both know "moderating" is not working for you, as you say continuing down the same road without changing anything will create the same result. I was the same, tried to moderate, failed miserably every time, I was back on a binge in a matter of days and back to square 1, the only answer was Sobriety.

The other thing to keep in mind is that anxiety after a while isn't being cured by alcohol, it is being caused by it over the longterm, sure you're going to have to adapt your lifestyle to one without alcohol, but your surrounded by all of us that had to do the same.

You can do this!!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lol. Don't u call me out purple knight! I know alcohols not thr answer, Sure is a lot easier to obtain than antianxiety meds tho. Hehe
Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kate - of course you're worthy of posting.

Alcohol gives us a fake sense of strength. I always thought it was giving me courage and making me more interesting. In the end it never helped me cope - just kept me weak and dependent on it. My real personality got lost somewhere along the way. I had to stop numbing myself to grow. Purpleknight is right about the anxiety - mine was through the roof when I was trying to be a social drinker. It had to go.

I'm glad you came back to talk things through. We're all in this together and we can help you stay strong Kate.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All in or all out for me. Moderation is beyond me. tried it for most of my life and total abstinence from drinking was my only solution.

Keep posting and never give up.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Lol. Don't u call me out purple knight! I know alcohols not thr answer, Sure is a lot easier to obtain than antianxiety meds tho. Hehe
Well that I agree with, too easily accessible!!

Having been around the Forum I do know your up to speed on things, I think I just want everyone to be safe and happy, so can't help but post some advice . . . SR leaves no one behind!!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kate, I'm glad you're back and looking for support.

Trying to moderate my drinking was torture for me.

I think that it doesn't have to be either anti-anxiety meds or alcohol. I have had generalized anxiety since childhood and have had some success without medication or alcohol. For me, I don't expect that my anxiety will disappear, but it won't control me anymore, except in extreme circumstances. Yoga and meditation are not quick fixes, but they definitely work.

"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns MD is a great book as is 'From Panic to Power' by Lucinda Bassett. There are many things you can do, including simple breathing techniques, to lessen your anxiety.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kate -

I also have had moderate social anxiety my whole life. When I found alcohol in my 20's it opened up a world I never could have imagined, it was the magic elixir that made me popular and the life of the party. Alas, I kept the party going too long and never found any other ways to cope. By my mid-30's I was addicted to alcohol and a complete mess and the anxiety was even worse.

The first thing to do is relax. You're among people who understand your situation, and have gone through similar experiences. The next thing to do is find a way to stop drinking, because you can't keep it going forever. It has to stop sometime. Why not now? When you have a clear mind after stopping drinking for a while, you can find other healthier ways to treat your anxiety, and perhaps even explore medical supervision. There's a way out of this mess, but drinking will only put you further down the hole. I hope you keep posting and reading and get a plan together. We support you!
Old 05-03-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi!

We have a member also called "kate". Have not seen her for a while so I first thought of her. My apologize. Welcome to SR.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kate.. I am the same way. Alcohol "cured" my social anxiety in a way I could never have imagined, but now I find it hard (ok, impossible) to moderate.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Kate! I'm in newcomers....but this isn't my first rodeo with quitting. Everyone has worth. Stay close. You are very welcome here.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

When I tried to enjoy it, I couldn't control it and when I tried to control it, didnt enjoy it! So in conclusion, sobriety is by far the best choice to enjoy life
Best wishes & keep coming back