Notices

Sober Weekend

Old 05-02-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Weekend

I am new to these forums, but I hope that it will provide me with a little extra support with staying sober and getting my life back on track. I have been addicted to prescription narcotics that I purchased off the street for nearly a year, and I have been intervened by my family and friends to change my ways. I have been clean since April 30th and am almost through my first three days. I have found a sponsor that was an addict and alcoholic for many years but has been clean for the past 30 years. I plan on staying sober all weekend, all week, and months to come. I hope to find others out there that are in or been in my shoes that will provide me with some support on how to stay away from risky activities. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR RilesSmiles - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

You have come to the right place. Life does get better, you just have to learn to start living it a different way.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Riles - I walked in the opi shoes until the soles wore off. As far as risky situations go, the first thing I would say is to stay away from alcohol. I don't think it matters if it was or wasn't a problem before the narcotics. Even if you don't switch addictions, having a single drink can make it easy to throw it all away.

Generally speaking, you can use HALT to avoid risky situations. That stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. I plan out my day and do everything in my power to avoid any of those four. There are still days where it happens, but they are much less when I am actively avoiding them.

Other than that, I think everybody has their own sets of triggers that cause cravings. In order to avoid them you should start identifying them. You could start a journal and write down every situation that you think would trigger a craving. When you get in new situations that trigger a craving add to the list.

Also, always keep an open mind and listen to your sponsor. If he has 30 years he must be doing something right. I think the most important part is to be honest with him when you are struggling. Being honest when you aren't struggling is easy.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Join the Sober Weekend thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...5-2-5-4-a.html
Old 05-02-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Riles - it's great to have you here. Please keep reading & posting - it really helps.

Congratulations on your first 3 days. Keep going.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome riles. Did you check in on the sober weekend thread?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Hang with others that are in the same place you are, recovery. Get in the middle and let all your new friends protect you, until your ready to help others. The closer you get to sober people the better.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I actually had a seller get mad at me for not buying. I told him- it would cost me $100 a day to feel anything.

His price 5x what another costs.

Some times one day at a time wont be enough- you have to go one hour at a time.

You wont miss the scramble to score. You will have extra cash too.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I worked so hard the entire winter, and it's now spring time, and I had absolutely no money to my name, that's where I knew things were going downhill fast... What turned from a weekend high turned into a daily thing, and when I couldn't get it, It was always on my mind. Now on day four, feeling much better than the first three days.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Smile

How's the weekend going? We care.