Notices

in a funk.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in a funk.

I'm 50days sober today! I feel good about that. I started aa 3weeks ago.so far nothing but good has come from me being there. Everything except I'm feeling anxious. I've had butterflies in my stomach since I started working the steps last Tuesday. It's not a great feeling either. I don't know if it's because I'm just scared of the changes that are happening or what. Has anyone else experienced this kind of nervousness when beginning the program? Maybe it means i need to take a step back? I just don't know.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Starting anything new - especially a programme of fairly rigorous self-examination - would make most people nervous, I think

Have you had a chat to your sponsor about this?

D
Old 05-02-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Change is never an easy thing, but it's often worth it.

I hope you do whatever it takes for you to get sober.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No i haven't talked to her about it. Maybe I'll call her and talk to her about it... my thinking right now is i figured out i drank to self medicate basically. Right now these uncomfortable feelings are exactly the kinds of feelings i used to drink about. Now i know i can talk to people and goo to meetings, but I'm still lacking tools to deal with these emotions somehow
Old 05-02-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

As others have suggested, anxiety is often an indication that we're going through and/or anticipating important changes in our lives.

When I first got sober many years ago, my sponsor recommended that I get a new toothbrush. I was dumbstruck. He explained that "most of us don't handle change very well, so it's better to get used to small changes while you're getting sober."

You've also had a personal awakening of sorts. I don't know exactly what you mean by "taking a step back," but if you're referring to your process of getting sober and the help you're getting to achieve sobriety, I think now is a great time to continue doing what you're doing.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

By taking a step backi meant I'm supposed to be working on step 2 right now and i read step 2and felt more like im on step 3possibly? But then i think maybe I'm going too fast. Basically my problem is I'm thinking. Lol and i can't pinpoint the cause of this fluttery weird feeling. So I'm not in control of my emotions and i can't suppress them anymore. Shoo what do i do?