SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Willpower (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/330905-willpower.html)

Bennevisgal 05-02-2014 11:46 AM

Willpower

Hello lovely people

I instantly feel better even being on this website. I just gotta ask a bit advice.
I am going out tonight, and driving. My friend is drinking and my boyfriend is too and in taking them home later. How can u stop myself from drinking?
I need willpower tips, scary stories that will be sn incentive for me to order orange juice and NO vodka...

Thanks guys :tyou

ScottFromWI 05-02-2014 11:58 AM

Scary stories never stopped me from drinking. There are plenty of reasons to not drive drunk which should be fairly obvious - are you seriously not aware of the possibilities?

Quite honestly if you don't feel you are going to be able to abstain and people are counting on you to drive - don't go.

Stoogy 05-02-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bennevisgal (Post 4627467)
Hello lovely people

I instantly feel better even being on this website. I just gotta ask a bit advice.
I am going out tonight, and driving. My friend is drinking and my boyfriend is too and in taking them home later. How can u stop myself from drinking?
I need willpower tips, scary stories that will be sn incentive for me to order orange juice and NO vodka...

Thanks guys :tyou

All I can say is give it a try, tomorrow morning when you wake up you will really get the benefit of not drinking this evening, I was very much like you in fact I struggled to separate any nights out from alcohol as the two kinda went hand in hand, but being sober just feels so much better than being drunk, and you will also notice a big difference in your bank balance. Have a nice sober evening.

too.tall 05-02-2014 12:03 PM

Think about how good you will feel the next day. Think about how powerful you are to be able to say "no" to drinking. Maybe as the night progresses and you see how people begin to act you will feel better about not drinking.

Verte 05-02-2014 12:21 PM

Are you sober these days? or trying to stay sober daily?

New here and not familiar with many stories.

Verte 05-02-2014 12:24 PM

One drink with alcohol for me would a great start to my worst nightmare.

Dee74 05-02-2014 04:27 PM

I hope you stuck with the OJ Bennevisgal :)
welcome :)

D

Bennevisgal 05-03-2014 07:16 AM

I did it

I did it guys, thank you. I stuck to your advice and stuck to the OJ. I drove them home and picked up my boyfriend, and I am so happy about it! I woke up fresh and cleansed, no alcohol toxins in my body. My brain wasn't swollen with dehydration and my stomach wasn't aching for water and food.
I am currently eating noodles while my hungover friend is asleep in my bed, and I can only sympathise with her right now. But, I feel great!
Thank you. I hope this can last.

Dee74 05-03-2014 03:29 PM

good for you bennevisgal :)

Keep posting here - I find support really helps :)

D

LBrain 05-03-2014 08:11 PM

Just be careful. OJ could be a trigger for u.
that's a s ary situation to be in.

curliQ 05-03-2014 08:28 PM

Good for you! Isn't driving without it fantastic? I actually went for "a drive" this evening just to enjoy the amazing weather. Never would have done that before; I would've been under the influence already. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance005.gif

1newcreation 05-03-2014 08:56 PM

Was about to start typing scary story but Scott put it best: nthg stopped me even when I knew the bad consequences! 8hrs in a cold holdin cell on 2nd charge of dwi should have woken me up but it didnt. Gettin locked up became such a norm it didnt phase me until 2 summers ago I stopped digging, went into aa & began getting my sanity back.
Save yourself the pain & agony by seeking help