Notices

Brand new

Old 05-02-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brand new

Hi all. Amazing site! Lots of personal processing right now and just day to day. Very familiar with the program as former al anon and teen child of two alcoholics. Now 50, professional and noticing a changing relationship with alcohol. Guess I've always wondered when it was going to be my turn.
Was eating disorders early on then gained weight in recovery and that allowed me to drink instead. Now lost weight and can't drink at all without getting drunk, and sick and shame. Thinking its my choice so why?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. WHY? If that can be answered the problem might be reduced. The answer to many questions we have might be simply acceptance and let it go. For myself I didn't want to be an alcoholic and fought it for too long. When I turned it around and accepted the fact I could not drink in safety things changed for the better. Over the years I've heard many say that they promised they would never be like an alcoholic parent because of their experiences and there they are at meetings with the same problem. Many don't accept the heredity factor and denial takes over for years.

BE WELL
Old 05-02-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can so relate to the post IOAA2. I said that when I was a kid, I would never be like my father, who was an alcoholic. I am exactly the same way and have been in denial for years about it. Now why did I inherit the same problem? I have no idea, but it is time to accept it yet again (I was sober for 7 years and now drunk again for 7). Some of us just can't drink like normal people and we never will.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Looking back, I can see that when I was 50 something changed in my drinking. Why I was drinking and where my drinking was taking me.

But it took three more years before I quit. Don't drag out quitting like I did. You're here now. Welcome and good luck.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi kerrykins, welcome to SR