Notices

Stay sober weekend thread 5/2-5/4

Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

What's burning?

So I put some chicken on the stove on low heat. I go outside and start trimming a butterfly bush. I move on to some weed pulling, then go to back and weed whack the perimeter of the yard. I'm mowing the lawn and I start to smell something burning. Where is that coming from? OOOOPS, the litebulb went off in my head. I go inside, and pour water over the burnt pan and chicken. House is filled with smoke. Meanwhile the wife is upstairs studying for final exam. I ask her if she smelled anything burning. "Yes," she replied. Well why didn't you go downstairs to check it out? If the house was burning down would you just sit here? "You blame everything on me." NO, I'm not blaming it on you, but couldn't you at least investigate the burning smell/smoke in the house? I wanted to drink a beer soooooooooooooooooooooo bad I couldn't stand it.
Windows open and fan going to clear out the smoke. It took me 30 minutes to calm down. So now - this goes to thepatman - I already bar-b-qued and I didn't even use the grill. I'm going to cut up the chicken and mix it with sauce and pretend that charred flavor came from the grill. Cleaning the pan is another story. So after this little break I am going to head outside and continue yard work.

Earlier I had to cut the bird netting from my blueberry bushes because the snow collapsed tree branches etc on everything. The new growth was through the 1/2" holes in the net. It was a tangled mess. I used a scissors to individually cut every blossom free from the netting. What a mess. No more net. Let the birds have their share this year. I have 100 manhours of work to do outside. Neighbor invited me to out to see a band tonight. Still debating, wife is going to be studying every waking hour. So she won't go.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Kentucky Derby.

I'm a country boy. I rodeoed when I was younger. I fell off of horses on to steers, because, before I was a practicing alcoholic, I was just looney tooney.

But I do like my horsey races.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Can't say I am a fan of the ponies but I like the pomp and circumstance of the event. Kinda like a wedding with a horsy faced bride. Lol

I was out and about on a warm breezy day in Maine. Strolled the fishing docks. Lobster traps waiting until the next outing.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Hanging at my bf's tonight as son having friends over. I'm NOT going to get in to a conversation about the issue with his daughter's drug use; I'm going to practice letting it go as I need to stay positive about my own sobriety. Hope everyone is doing fine tonight!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hello Sober Weekenders!

I love the boat picture Weasel. I love wandering around marinas. I lived on a sailboat for ten years and the sounds and smells bring back fond memories.

Brain, you shouldn't be too angry about your blackened chicken, after all, the Rangers beat the Penguins last night, that should provide for you some good feelings.

Been doing lots of little things this day. Painted a picture of a friends dog as a gift; made some carmalized onions for my pizza; baked chocolate chip cookies to hand out at work next week.
I have three episodes of the tv show 'Fargo' on my television show collector box, watched the first one......and, wow, that is going to be something to watch.

Next on my list is to make my mother a Mothers Day card. And watch more tv.

I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I was determined to get some backlogged homework finished. I did. Now I've got more!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day slowly getting better after much drama. Thanks all. Kids don't listen and are in your face defiant. it is the aftermath of being too involved in drinking to pay attention and letting them to their own devices. I will find my way but it is taking time and I am frustrated.

I hope everyone is having a good day and evening.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Oh, I was also going to say to LBrain that whenever I unintentionally blacken anything or it gets crusty in the pan I put about an inch of water in the pan with some dish soap and simmer it in the stove for a while. That usually makes cleaning a lot easier. Now if anyone could give a hint for really scorched on popcorn residue, that would be good. My son insisted that he knew how to pop corn because he watched grandma do it. He missed the part where she put oil in the pot. No amount of scrubbing is helping.
  # 149 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ken, did you see the fog in Casco Bay on Friday morning? I had to snap this pic with my IPhone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bay.jpg (32.0 KB, 47 views)
  # 150 (permalink)  

That is "on" the stove, not "in" the stove.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Oh, I was also going to say to LBrain that whenever I unintentionally blacken anything or it gets crusty in the pan I put about an inch of water in the pan with some dish soap and simmer it in the stove for a while. That usually makes cleaning a lot easier. Now if anyone could give a hint for really scorched on popcorn residue, that would be good. My son insisted that he knew how to pop corn because he watched grandma do it. He missed the part where she put oil in the pot. No amount of scrubbing is helping.
thanks for the advice. So, I put a inch or two of water in the pan with some soap and turn on the heat - low, I came up here and logged on SR - this was hours ago - before I read this. I was sharing my story about burning the pan, and I burned it a second time while reading the forum! WTF is wrong with me? TRUE

okay, here's my life tip to everyone. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON EXPENSIVE NON-STICK COOKWARE. BUY THE CHEAP **** AND DONATE IT TO THE SALVATION ARMY EVERY OTHER YEAR. YOU'LL SAVE MONEY IN THE LONG RUN.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

okay, here's my life tip to everyone. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON EXPENSIVE NON-STICK COOKWARE. BUY THE CHEAP **** AND DONATE IT TO THE SALVATION ARMY EVERY OTHER YEAR. YOU'LL SAVE MONEY IN THE LONG RUN.
Agree! One of my favorite non-stick pan is a cheapo deep skillet I get from Costco for $20. I can make pretty much anything on it and if I'm careful using silicon spatulas and non metal spoons it lasts me two or three years. It surely beats some of the fancy Caphalon ones in stainless steel that are expensive but sticks every time I use them gah!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Well, I'll gratefully take 60 days sober today.

Very gratefully.

Thank you to God, AA, and this forum.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

You're a real inspiration!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Alright biminiblue. Way to go!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Lbrain, you're so funny. I saw that coming

If you were in your Rbrain, it would be better (like I am, I'm left-handed. I haven't burned up a pan in a couple decades, at least. )

Oh, and edit to say, YES on the Salvation Army and thank you. That's where I buy my nonstick pans.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I was just at Salvation Army today. I bought a pair of shoes. Last week My husband donated my daughters play kitchen at the place he volunteers which is not at this SA. We saw it today with a $15.00 sticker on it. I will be sending hubby back over there on Monday. When he took it for donation he forgot a few parts that go with it so they may as well be reunited unless the thing was sold today. It looked rather bedraggled even though it was hardly played with.

Got the kids in bed. Yay. Quiet time for me. I am going to read my Big Book. I am feeling out of sorts with the kids. Not drinking out of sorts but enough to know I have to take care. Warm purring cat on my lap. Nice.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Ok. One purring cat. My avatar cat is on an armchair near me, snoring almost as loudly as my husband. I thought it was my husband for a second.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi all, just woken up to a sunny, sober Sunday.
Love reading everyone's posts, it's inspired me to get out in to the garden today, there's so much to do out there. I have a habit of avoiding the work but enjoying the lazy times of sitting down. But today I'll be out there not being lazy!

I love cats, they have the knack of getting everyone in their vicinity to relax don't they? We're planning a move later in the year and I hope we'll be able to have a cat when we're settled. Something to look forward to.

Have a great day everyone, speak later and let you know if I've conquered my lazy streak.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

We have with ius this weekend a bunch of folks that are having a first or second weekend sober. Others are under or around 100 posts.

Anyone who feels strong enough.. Let's throw everything we have behind them for support!

How about a check in. If you were sober Friday and Saturday or if you drank let's hear from you!

I had a bit of a roller coaster day. Was about and about but still had waves of loneliness. I combatted that with eating. Had a wicked good bowl of haddock chowder. Fried perogies. And a big steak and cheese sandwich! Good thing I also walked nearly ten miles!

Happy sober Sunday!