Notices

Stay sober weekend thread 5/2-5/4

Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Good afternoon/morning/evening everyone. Sobriety is good, really good. Be strong everyone
Old 05-03-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hey guys, still sober here on Day 4. Finally had a good nights sleep last night and feeling much better. Enjoying my weekend sober for once!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

This is for you Holli, it's out of my garden.

P1020165.jpg
Old 05-03-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

G'day mates! Already started cleaning in kitchen. Getting ready for laundry. Then it's mow lawn, garden rest of day. HOW BOUT THEM RANGERS! Today's forecast: Mostly cloudy with a chance of a late shower, hi 54, slight breeze from west, no beer in the forecast.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

It's a wild windy night here on the eastern coast of Australia, it's barely 12C (53F) outside and the wind chimes are crashing together. It was dinner at home tonight, I baked bread this afternoon, one loaf was an abject failure so it went into the compost bin but another was fine as I was a huge pot of vegetable stock. I have the electric blanket on and am looking forward to an hour's reading before going to sleep. I love home weekends.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Morning and congrats everyone! Day 3 for me and feeling good. Yesterday I bought beer for the husband and resisted the urge to have even one. I cant remember a 3 day abstinence other than my pregnancy. I can do this and so can all of you.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Way to go Holi. Get back on the bus.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders! Day Three sober for me and I plan to make it a great, sober day. Yesterday I was bouncing off the walks a bit, hyperactivity to the max, but I made it through. Hopefully my nerves are calming a bit.

Stayed up too late reading last night, so I hope to catch a nap later. I was reading, "Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption," by William Cope Moyers. Great book if you want to read about addiction/recovery. I couldn't seem to set it down.

The plan for the day is shopping with mom and taking the dogs to the groomers, then a nap, then .... gardening maybe, sewing maybe, computer work, maybe. I will see how I feel about what I want to do with my afternoon.

Highs in the 70s today here, sun shining, bird singing. Gonna be a great day!

Stay sober everyone! We can do this together!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
G'day mates! Already started cleaning in kitchen. Getting ready for laundry. Then it's mow lawn, garden rest of day. HOW BOUT THEM RANGERS! Today's forecast: Mostly cloudy with a chance of a late shower, hi 54, slight breeze from west, no beer in the forecast.
Yes go Rangers! Good way to start the series with a win in their building.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I woke up with line "I will sleep with a clear conscience, I will sleep in peace" running through my head. It's from sinead o'connor's song Emperor's New Clothes. I woke up refreshed and ready for a new day.

Holli, hang in there. I had blips in the beginning. Today you can start over and do things differently. Smell your roses and remember we are rooting for you if you find your thoughts straying.

Ontherightpath, it stinks that your husband aimed the passive aggressive comments at you. He may not be able to change but you can. If you know these comments might be expected, well, to know is to be forearmed. Serenity prayer helped me a lot.

Everyone is still sleeping. No little league for us today because they played last night. Husband cleaned the house yesterday and kitchen is sparkling. Maybe I will tackle the closets and my daughters room. That should keep me busy for the weekend. Oops. Son awake and asking for iPad. I will check in later.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Holli made my day! Good to see you stand back up.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

No hangovers for me this weekend.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Happy sober Saturday, everyone. Mecanix, I have a cold too. I didn't eat much last night so woke up around dawn hungry, stuffed up, and kind of spacey from the cold. It also reminded me of being hungover. I will take a cold over being still half drunk at dawn any day!

Rooting for you, Holli! Today is a new day, your day.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Back from piano lessons. My son was walked out of the class for not behaving. Sigh. Then the kids were fighting in the back seat. I lost my temper and slammed on the brakes. We were still in the parking lot so no physical harm to anyone. Now my daughter is crying "nobody loves me" in the living room. I am not looking forward to puberty with her. She is only almost six. A good example of not being able to control anyone's behavior or the outcome to a situation. I can only change myself and my reactions. Venting right now and taking a mommy time out. Life happens.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Ruby, mommies need time outs too. Hope you get some you time this weekend.

Last night I went to a Mexican restaurant with friends and everyone ordered margaritas. When the waitress got to me, I said "club soda with lime, please." I guess it was kind of loud and she didn't hear me because she said, "Frozen?" I repeated "club SODA!" Then I realized that my voice was a little shrill and I had a panicked expression on my face and I felt kind of embarrassed. I think part of me still worries that when I'm around alcohol it's going to forcibly jump into my mouth.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

It's been a great sober Saturday, looking forward to a relaxing evening with a good book, and wake tomorrow for an equally sober Sunday.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend too.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Just got back from a run with the dog. It's 90 degrees and HOT here but I'm sober and feeling good. Thank you everyone for posting your positive choices on this board. It allows me to realize that life gets better when you don't drink.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Is it bad that I am glad I am not the only one having a bad weekend? Ruby you definitely deserve a time out. Glad you are having a good Saturday free.

Ok, I decided to start having a good Saturday. Not gonna let other people drag me down. I hope your day gets better Ruby.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

New Spectacles While Viewing Old Times

We went to see a kickin' Rockabilly Band last night in a lil local Town [<1,000 Persons]. It was in this 'Old Timey' Hall, and a real plethora of Folks turned out to support this Band touring around. The Hardwood Floor was rockin' with very talented Dancers, and Dance-impaired Dudes like moi. My Neighbor Joe Cocker's got nothing on my Dance Floor moves!

I used to play this sort of Music p/t, and mix P.A. Sound. LOTS of time in Bars, obviously. To view the Band and Room 'dynamics' last night through my 11-week-old Sober Spectacles was very enjoyable. I had one or two fleeting, minor Flashbacks to ducking outside to hit a Flask back in my Wasted Youth, but the Ice Tea being sold worked just fine by me. No 'Jones' to do that Flask nippin' anymore last night. That memory was sort of like looking at a very old b/w Photograph.

A charming, 'Old School' aspect of this Event was the local HS, Award-winning Speech Club selling killer Homemade Pie Slices. One Gal got 'Happy Birthday' sung to her after the energetic Band really tore it up!

To those early on in this Sobriety excursion, prior experiences can be re-tooled and become a different sort of equivalent fun. Even better. Driving Home last night through Deer and Critter Country sho was easier while viewing only one set of White Lines on the Road. Not to mention there being none on the Tabletop Mirror... Going to Bed this morning at ~12:30 - tired, but energized - would have been unthinkable back in the day. The constant fatigue would have made this impossible.

While I'm always on guard against complacency, Alcohol [and plentiful Drugs always offered to my Band] was very simply a non-issue last night.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

My Kinda Typo

I am very pleased to note the Typo in my Post above.

I mention 11 weeks of Sobriety. I did some quick Mental Math while typing at my usual ~80 WPM, and was thinking my Sobriety Notoriety that began 10 January of this year was 11 weeks ago. It did not. It was 15 weeks ago. 4 months minus 1 week next Friday [rounded off]; not 3 months minus 1 week as I posted.

Yah, sure, I think about this start date and elapsed time 'some', as do we all. However, my Typo signals me not obsessing over whether it's been 3 or 4 Months elapsed. My Brain and Habits are 're-wiring', and my new Life is becoming my 'new normal'.