SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Bad news, not so bad news (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/330851-bad-news-not-so-bad-news.html)

Justadude 05-02-2014 12:00 AM

Bad news, not so bad news

I missed my 24hr club sign up last night because I was out of it. Fever, fatigue blah blah blah.
Bad news:
Doctor put me on a meds regiment for treatment of Lyme Disease.
Not so bad news:
May is a busy month for me with official functions (and celebrations). And my brother in law is coming to America from NZ for a visit for several weeks.

I hate to say that the meds and illness will provide an excuse to people I don't want to discuss alcoholism with. Doc thinks I caught the tick early, so lucky. Symptoms can persist for several months after treatment. Again bad/not so bad.

deeker 05-02-2014 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Justadude (Post 4626457)
I missed my 24hr club sign up last night because I was out of it. Fever, fatigue blah blah blah.
Bad news:
Doctor put me on a meds regiment for treatment of Lyme Disease.
Not so bad news:
May is a busy month for me with official functions (and celebrations). And my brother in law is coming to America from NZ for a visit for several weeks.

I hate to say that the meds and illness will provide an excuse to people I don't want to discuss alcoholism with. Doc thinks I caught the tick early, so lucky. Symptoms can persist for several months after treatment. Again bad/not so bad.

ohh Justadude, I am sorry to hear that. i don't know much about Lyme disease.

Hope it can be treated quickly. Glad they caught it early. Well stay close to SR when your BIL is in town. Is he a big drinker?

Dee74 05-02-2014 12:10 AM

Sorry about the Lyme disease JustaDude.

D

Justadude 05-02-2014 12:21 AM

Deeker, thanks. He and fiancé are not... To my knowledge. Last trip there they consumed a fair amount of wine at dinner but not excessive and a few beers here and there. There is and will be alc in the house but not my start up flavor. There will be plenty of single malt at the upcoming functions and friends will want to share with me. I already put it out that I was sick in those circles. No one is high pressure when you say "no thanks." But this helps on one of the few days of the year when colleagues expect me to do the semiannual partaking. Kinda relieved. Was just gonna say no thanks not tonight and excuse myself early but this is good at this stage. We have another colleague from the group who has experienced a bad bout with lyme disease so they understand.

Justadude 05-02-2014 12:22 AM

Thanks D. Gonna be ok in the long run.

Taking5 05-02-2014 01:20 AM

Hey Lyme disease is serious stuff. I'd say the fact that they caught it is very good news.

animalnurse9 05-02-2014 02:18 AM

So sorry about the Lyme disease :( but super stoked u have a visit from new Zealand cos anyone from there is cool ;)

Justadude 05-02-2014 03:50 AM

Animalnurse,
My bil is English and has been in NZ or several years now. His partner is from NZ. They are both finishing what we would call an internship in The States. Both young docs. We've been to visit once. Definitely going to Oz and NZ in Feb. Got to get there while we have a place to stay for free! At least the NZ part. Their dad probably planned this out. "... Send one to America and one to NZ this way I can visit both countries regularly..." Good plan Dad!