Notices

Naltrexone, any experience to share.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone, any experience to share.

Hello,

I am a high functioning alcoholic. I don't usually have an issue with frequency. If I have things to do I go home and go to bed, but when I do drink I don't stop until I sleep or pass out.

I was on this board a little while ago because I wasn't working and the intensity combined with frequency really quickly when I didn't have to wake up at 6:30 every day for work. I started a new job and things were clean for 3 weeks and then a trigger hit and I went three days (thankfully a long weekend) and was shocked at myself Sunday night.

I decided to see a doctor recommended by family. He does a lot of research in this field and I saw him today. Based on our assessment, he prescribed Naltrexone based on my behaviors. He is also referring me to be 'shrunk' as he describes it ;-) (Awesome doctor, very direct and knowledgeable. He feels successful folks in their 30s, in his experience, can really benefit from seeing a shrink).

I did a couple quick searches on this site, but didn't see too much about the experience of first going onto Naltrexone. I haven't taken prescription medication (or any drug other than nicotine or alcohol) in 15+ years. Anyone care to share what it was like for them, what to watch out for, what to focus on? I got the prescription tonight (and of course a six pack to commemorate my 'last night'), and start tomorrow.

Any and all experiences appreciated. In my new role I cannot afford to be 'that guy', and I have decided I need to finally grow up and get straight.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome John - I have no experience with this but I know others have. You'll hear from them no doubt.

I find, regardless of whether you go for the meds or not, support can be a great help.
Hope you'll check in often.

good to have you with us

D