Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Sober Recovery - Please check your egos at the door.

Notices

Old 05-01-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

After being around here a while and re-reading the following link below about 1000 times (ok, slight exaggeration), I think "Welcome... please check your egos..." would be a good motto for this site/these forums. Thoughts?

A.A. Recovery - The Missing Piece: The Spiritual Malady
Old 05-01-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not everybody here follows the AA school of thought dsober.

many of our members see their problem was too little ego rather than too much.

I wouldn't think this would go over great with many in the Family and Friends forums for example.

Many of our members do not agree with the spiritual malady idea either.

We are not aligned to any one school of recovery thought, and to be honest I hope we never will be

I do admire your enthusiasm and passion tho

D
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Dee.

We have members who use a variety of recovery methods and I think it would be impossible to find a 'motto' that encompassed everyone.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agreed, I have a rather unconventional recovery method but it works for me.

Plus other things like a recovery song, a video of me when I was recovering, etc that all help.

Each to their own and the systems that work for them. It's not to say that one can't learn from others though, but ultimately we all need to find and keep refining our sweet-spot for recovery.

All the best to you,

Bruce.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we each can develop our own custom recovery recipe and come for SR to share the spice combination that worked best for us.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really am confused how some of us need AA to get sober while others can just use a website. Maybe there is just many heavy drinkers on this site vs real alcoholics.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
I really am confused how some of us need AA to get sober while others can just use a website. Maybe there is just many heavy drinkers on this site vs real alcoholics.
Robert, I get what you are saying, but I think we can all agree that what works for some does not work for everyone. There is no one solution to alcoholism. Just like physical health can be attained any number of ways (running, walking, yoga, weight training, Pilates, rowing, biking, etc.), different approaches to sobriety work for different people. AA is not a cure-all, but it is very effective program for lots of folks.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I beg to differ. I'm a "real alcoholic" and do not use AA. There are many ways to get sober.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go figure, my ego and self-esteem saved me....I am powerful as a Sober person, I do not consider alcoholism a disease, but an addiction over which I have control if I exercise it, like smoking.

I've used SR since 2010, it has been a cornerstone to lead me to where I am today. I've picked up many tools here that help from all different stories of recovery....self- confidence in what works for me keeps me sober(meditations, exercise, believing in myself)....and I'm not afraid of doing my recovery this way...I've heard many rants and insults, but the longer I am sober, the less they affect me.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Robert, I get what you are saying, but I think we can all agree that what works for some does not work for everyone. There is no one solution to alcoholism. Just like physical health can be attained any number of ways (running, walking, yoga, weight training, Pilates, rowing, biking, etc.), different approaches to sobriety work for different people. AA is not a cure-all, but it is very effective program for lots of folks.
I never met a "real alcoholic" , like in my case they were just the run of the mill alcoholics! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry Got Grace, I mistakenly quoted you instead of Robert, lol
Old 05-01-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

EGO

Ease God Out
Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Not everybody here follows the AA school of thought.

many of our members see their problem was too little ego rather than too much.

Many of our members do not agree with the spiritual malady idea either.

We are not aligned to any one school of recovery thought, and to be honest I hope we never will be

D

Thank you, Dee)
Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A drinking problem is a drinking problem no matter how you label it. You can choose to make a change or not. How you go about that is up to you. I am tired of all the labeling and definitions... I think I could spend the rest of my life obsessing over them and that seems exhausting. I just want to stay sober.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am a huge believer in community and support wherever you may find it. I remained sober in the SR community and I have returned to sober again. More than one way to skin a cat.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

this is the only place i've ever been to for support ever. i've quit before on my own but only to relapse because nobody was there to hear me out when i was just saying screw it, i went 3 months sober i deserve a drink.

this forum taught me a lot in the short time i've been here, although i've been researching sobriety for over 3 years.

in short if it weren't for this forum i wouldn't be where i am today.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lol regardless of whether it is AA one uses or not, until the point of being willing to listen to someone else through sheer desperation the ego is so intact it is bullet proof. I wish that I had listened at 21 or 30 when I went to AA but I knew best about all things and I was not able to hear any different.

Some of the article has been medically proven when one googles it but still if the ego us solid what difference do facts make?

Fascinating stuff the ego, can literally kill us?! Good luck on changing that OP;-)
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ego works for me. I prefer to bring my ego along with me. Inflated ego, that's something else entirely.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Some of us aren't "just using a website"; although, there are people here who have used SR as their primary resource for recovery.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It's 2014. I can't believe people still use the term "real alcoholic".