Notices

How do I stop worrying?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I stop worrying?

I worry too much. From "What if I burn dinner?" to ridiculous worries like "What if my headache is actually a tumor?"

In the past I would stop all the "whatifs" with alcohol...now I don't know what to do!

Today its got really bad.

I am not really craving alcohol, right now I don't even miss the taste or the numbing feeling. I don't think it's my AV...it's just that I can't remember how to calm myself down and stop thinking stupid thoughts in a "normal" way.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you stop stuff like that overnight

The more I stayed sober the more I grounded I became...I do what I can about the stuff I can change or act on...and I try to let the rest go.

I think you're right tho - I think the worry was a great excuse to drink...take away the element and things do change

I'm still working on it...I won't say I never worry...but it's rarely that grinding drive me to my knees worry it used to be

D
Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to worry a lot too. I have had generalized anxiety disorder since my childhood. Drinking was the absolute worst for my anxiety and thankfully it's manageable since I stopped drinking.

I find that yoga, meditation, and simple breathing exercises help a lot.

There are some really good books with practical advice:

"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns, MD

"From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett
Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes time to establish new routines and mindsets. Give yourself good treatment, pamper yourself, and in time you'll learn how to not worry so much.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing you could do- have a nice container of the best drinking water there is- 8 stage RO water- each time you worry- take a deep sip- let the water clense and hydrate you.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have the same anxiety issues as you - the trick is to occupy your mind with something as if you leave it rest, that's when all those 'what ifs' start bombarding the mind which often, for me at least, keep spiraling out of control and I get worried about more and more things until I panic.

I didn't find watching TV any help, I had to be doing something active rather than passive so I'd make myself a cup of chamomile tea and play some games like scrabble on my ipad and before I knew it the worries had subsided. Exercise is a good thing to do too, so if you're not cooking food, go to the gym or a run and if you are do some situps, press ups etc. in the house.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What if....
life gets so much better
I wake up tomorrow with no hangover
I can socialize without a drink
My grandchildren only remember a sober me
I get a promotion
I can save money
I am healthier
I never do anything I am ashamed of tomorrow
I don't die from liver disease
I can remember my life at the end of it

get it You can turn it around, just change the script.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This passage from Melody Beattie's book The Language of Letting Go has always resonated with me.

Letting Go of Worry

What if we knew for certain that everything we're worried about today will work out fine?

What if . . . we had a guarantee that the problem bothering us would be worked out in the most perfect way, and at the best possible time? Furthermore, what if we knew that three years from now we'd be grateful for that problem, and its solution?

What if . . . we knew that even our worst fear would work out for the best?

What if . . . we had a guarantee that everything that's happening, and has happened, in our life was meant to be, planned just for us, and in our best interest?

What if . . . we had a guarantee that the people we love are experiencing exactly what they need in order to become who they're intended to become? Further, what if we had a guarantee that others can be responsible for themselves, and we don't have to control or take responsibility for them?

What if . . . we knew the future was going to be good, and we would have an abundance of resources and guidance to handle whatever comes our way?

What if . . . we knew everything was okay, and we didn't have to worry about a thing? What would we do then?

We'd be free to let go and enjoy life.

Today, I will know that I don't have to worry about anything. If I do worry, I will do it with the understanding that I am choosing to worry, and it is not necessary.
From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm seriously going to print this thread and read it every time I get a "whatif" attack. Amazing. Thank you from the bottom of my heart guys!