Notices

going to go to rehab

Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

going to go to rehab

I'm new here I just joined. I'm going to go to rehab on May 22 and I'm really nervous. I'm an alcoholic and I'm willing to get help, I'm just afraid of change. Does anyone have any words of advice regarding rehab, is it scary? I'm only 22 but I am aware that I have a problem and I'm trying to nip it in the bud.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Why so far in the future?

I haven't been to rehab but I have seen the success stories from people who have. You can do this is you put your mind to it and get serious about recovery.

Welcome by the way!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everything can help.
Scary is being out of control, doing things to gain control back is the most powerful and rewarding thing you can do. Good luck, and congratulations on seeing the problem and beginning to deal with it.
John.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why not start today and get a head start?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rehab is pretty easy for most and one usually gets out of it what they put into it

MM
Old 04-30-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm curious as to why it's so far off, the date of your going. Put all your effort into it and you will be rewarded.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have never been to rehab, it was not a financial option for me.

But I would have gone without a second thought! And I would have been anxious also. Normal, it's human nature to be afraid of the unknown.

I bet that you will be extremely glad you went! Please keep us posted before you leave and specially when you come back!

Smart move btw, you are young and intelligent.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

I have never been to rehab, but I can see where it would be a huge benefit in recovering. Please stay close and let us know how you're doing.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went to rehab last year and it was an absolute Godsend! I was nervous and scared when I started, but when I accepted what they were offering I never had the urge to go home at any time. I made amazing life long friends and it changed my opinion of myself and others that are dealing with addiction. If you go in there whole heartedly wanting to change it will make an absolute difference in your life forever. People who I didn't think were going to make it because I didn't think they were in it for the right reasons are still going strong over a year later. I think about that place everyday and how it saved my life. Wouldn't change it for the world, I often miss it and still attend AA meetings there occasionally. You will do great, I can just tell! Good luck and let us know how it goes when you get back
Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you that change is scary.

I haven't been to rehab, but I think you should do whatever it takes.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for the support! I didnt think anyone would reply to this. I've been on the waitlist for rehab for seven months, so May 22 is coming quick to me. I guess I havent been ready for change, mostly in denial.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We have waiting lists here too for rehab which is a shame but I'm so glad you are finally getting your place I've never been to rehab but I think that it's probably a good place to go if you genuinely want to change. 24hour support if you need it is an amazing chance to have. I think everyone would be a little scared and unsure as to what to expect but I'm sure you have nothing at all to worry about.

I think your being very brave and mature about this and I'm sure you will come out of this a different person or the same person just without the bad habits lol I hope you keep us posted. All the best.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to a small rehab clinic less than 2 years ago. I'm still sober so that's something.

My best tip: Follow the damn rules when you get there. If you're like me, it's probably been a while since you toed the line. When I got to treatment, it helped to hang out with the "nerds" for a change. The nerds are the people who are trying to get better. They complete their tasks on time. They show up for breakfast at the appropriate time. They sit where they are supposed to. They complete assignments and share in group. They contribute, and they ask for help when they have questions.

Try and bond with others who are on the right track. There will be plenty of them. There will also be a few bad apples but they will weed themselves right out the door. Many of us alcoholics have that "naughty gene" where we are always pushing the envelope. Leave your reputation at the door and get off on the right foot by listening, learning, and behaving like the good person you are inside.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks for the tips! I will seek out the "nerds"! Making friends is something I'm worried about.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was worried about making friends too. Don't worry about it, you'll find your place. Stick to your counselors, and if you are feeling lost just ask. There will be other newcomers just like you who are starting as well. I think you'll feel good about not being alone.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are a brave young woman, rbotlove. I wish I had stopped when I was young! Best of luck to you. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

rbotlove

You have been given good advice by others on this site. Welcome. People here share there stories and help others heal.