Notices

"Thank You" Isn't Enough

Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Thank You" Isn't Enough

First and foremost I would like to offer my sincere thanks to all those who participate in this forum. Last week, after a desperate Google search, I began reading about the experiences of many of you – successes, failures, struggles, and the unending support you show each other – and I knew that I had to make a decision.

I had long ago admitted to myself I had a drinking problem. It was the solution that eluded me. I thought I could return to drinking in moderation (although I realistically haven’t done that since the 90s), or at least be a “functional” alcoholic. But, and I am sure many of you can relate, it gradually got worse.

These last two years I have drank nearly a fifth of vodka every day (Scotch became too expensive after I retired) beginning around 4:00PM and ending when sleep took me.

There was no single event that triggered this attempt at recovery – no DUIs, divorce, violence, or anything like that – it is merely quality of life. I am sick of the guilt and shame, and I want to feel better, live better, and live longer.

So this morning, as I begin my fourth day of sobriety some 20 feet from a fully stocked liquor cabinet, I want to also thank you in advance for being there for me. It is my sincere hope that I can return the favor someday.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Reboot, welcome! The support here really is encouraging. I am glad you are here!

(anything you can do about that stocked liquor cabinet?)
Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Reboot, Thank you for sharing that bit of yourself. You will find plenty of support and encouragement from the members here. Have you considered unloading your inventory yet? I think it would be a good idea. 20 feet can feel like 20 miles. But it can also feel like 20 cm, right on your shoulder begging and nagging at you. Clear out that temptation, it is beckoning you.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I realized that having a stocked liquor cabinet in our home would raise eyebrows. My wife is a casual drinker, and all of our friends and family drink to varying degrees.

One of my objectives was to quit drinking with as little impact as possible to those around me. I am aware that this may reduce my odds of success but my thinking is that I will always be exposed to it anyway, so I might as well become used to it.

Yes, I could be back here tomorrow or next week with an empty liquor cabinet and starting day one again, but being new to recovery I wanted to try it this way first.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have chosen to have a dry house. Alcohol is poison to me so I see no good reason to have it around.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Reboot.

Welcome to SR!

Congrats on choosing sobriety, and on choosing to do it now, not waiting for perfect conditions. Though I agree that "dry house" is better. Maybe, you can discuss it with your wife and find some way that would be fine for both of you.

Keep posting and best wishes to you on your sobriety journey.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Reboot. Kicking this dis ease into recovery mode for many of us is a start into a great way of life instead of a getting by mode and far worse. I unfortunately needed too many reboots until I got honest with myself about my drinking and at the same time left out the word "but." I've been around a long time and have seen too much true damages as a result of too many doing it "my way."
When I finally plugged the jug there was no internet and I luckily chose the fellowship I did for my recovery. As the expression goes "it works IF we work it." Whatever is chosen the bottom line is we don't drink one day at a time to be sober.

BE WELL
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Reboot, welcome aboard.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I fully understand your desire to remain pleasing to those around you. Your body, physiological and psychological, does not care about anyone else at the moment. Regardless of your will and desire, there are overriding factors at the present moment.
Going from a fifth a night to nothing is hard. It's like a car traveling at 60 mph hitting a brick wall. I know it's a stretch to compare it.
Are you experiencing any kind of withdrawal symptoms? When was your last doctor visit? Did you talk to your doctor and tell him how much you drank and that you are going cold turkey to quit? I highly recommend you discuss this with a doctor.
Regardless of how you feel about being hospitable to friends and family, having that much alcohol in close proximity is very dangerous to someone new to sobriety. Obviously I don't know your thought process or situation, but I would be concerned until you have a solid structure of sobriety before being exposed to that much alcohol. Just my opinion of course. I'm just another drunk who quit recently.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
When I finally plugged the jug there was no internet and I luckily chose the fellowship I did for my recovery. As the expression goes "it works IF we work it."

BE WELL
AA is not off of the table for me. I will do what it takes - including making this a dry home - to beat this.

Guess I'd better start a blog here.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Reboot; glad you found SR.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Are you experiencing any kind of withdrawal symptoms? When was your last doctor visit? Did you talk to your doctor and tell him how much you drank and that you are going cold turkey to quit? I highly recommend you discuss this with a doctor.
I haven't been to a doctor in two years so, no, he wasn't involved in this. I realize the wise course of action would have to consult him first. If I could do it over again I would have.

As for withdrawals, the first two days were pretty miserable. Yesterday was much better - no DTs that I could detect, no headache, appetite returned, and after eating, I had enough energy to go out and work in the yard.

Today I am still not functioning at 100% as I can tell I'm still in detox mode. But it's a heck of a lot better than any time in the previous year. Probably because I actually got a good night's sleep.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Reboot. I found this place 8 months ago, in much the same situation as you. And I haven't had a drink since the day I signed on at SR. This place has been a godsend to me.

I have kept a stocked liquor cabinet throughout my first 8 months of sobriety - partly because I haven't really publicized to people that I have quit drinking - partly because I want to be able to offer a drink to guests to my home - and partly because I am too lazy to relocate the bottles. I realize it is a risk. And I have certainly been tempted. But, so far, it hasn't been a major issue. Part of me enjoys knowing that the bottles of liquor are just sitting there, hopefully spoiling (does vodka spoil?). Anyway, if it is a major temptation, throw it out. It would be a shame to have to start this journey over. You are off to a great start.

Anyway, I am glad you are here with us. Welcome to the SR family.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
I have kept a stocked liquor cabinet throughout my first 8 months of sobriety - partly because I haven't really publicized to people that I have quit drinking - partly because I want to be able to offer a drink to guests to my home...
You hit the nail on the head, firstymer, though my primary reason is that I'm not at all ready to go public with "I'm a vodka-guzzling drunk," even though it's an established fact. No, I'm going to spin it as "I want to eat healthier, exercise more, etc." While true, it's still rather dishonest. At least in my case.

Those who know me well will see right through the ruse. Those on this forum who have experience in recovery are probably hearing alarm bells about now.

But as of this moment I have three days of sobriety under my belt and remain motivated and optimistic.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
First and foremost I would like to offer my sincere thanks to all those who participate in this forum. Last week, after a desperate Google search, I began reading about the experiences of many of you – successes, failures, struggles, and the unending support you show each other – and I knew that I had to make a decision.

I had long ago admitted to myself I had a drinking problem. It was the solution that eluded me. I thought I could return to drinking in moderation (although I realistically haven’t done that since the 90s), or at least be a “functional” alcoholic. But, and I am sure many of you can relate, it gradually got worse.

These last two years I have drank nearly a fifth of vodka every day (Scotch became too expensive after I retired) beginning around 4:00PM and ending when sleep took me.

There was no single event that triggered this attempt at recovery – no DUIs, divorce, violence, or anything like that – it is merely quality of life. I am sick of the guilt and shame, and I want to feel better, live better, and live longer.

So this morning, as I begin my fourth day of sobriety some 20 feet from a fully stocked liquor cabinet, I want to also thank you in advance for being there for me. It is my sincere hope that I can return the favor someday.

Hi Reboot,
Hi, and many thanks for sharing your story. This site is indeed a great source of support and advice from more great people than I could mention in this short post. We have all had rough journeys to various degrees in order to finally arrive here but all our stories when shared with each other only sharpen our sobriety teeth in order to finally slay this beast, I cannot personally offer any greater advice than getting rid of your stock of alcohol, it is all too tempting in the early days and will only play with you to some degree.
I truly wish you well and look forward to reading more of your posts.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Reboot. I'm you you will find much support and wisdom in this forum. Congratulations in your decision to become alcohol free.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find lots of support here. I'm also glad you decided to stop drinking. Best decision you'll ever make.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Wow! Congratulations! I couldn't stay sober with a fully stocked liquor cabinet 20 feet away. You are doing great.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR reboot. I keep a dry house (I m single and live alone) and I would suggest that you talk to your wife and see if she would be ok with it while you are in early sobriety (why make things more difficult for yourself?).
Unless she is sick and tired of you and won't believe you anymore, I don't see why she would not be supportive (at least for a while) while you get more grounded in sobriety.
Congratulations on day 4
Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Welcome to SR reboot. I keep a dry house (I m single and live alone) and I would suggest that you talk to your wife and see if she would be ok with it while you are in early sobriety (why make things more difficult for yourself?).
Unless she is sick and tired of you and won't believe you anymore, I don't see why she would not be supportive (at least for a while) while you get more grounded in sobriety.
Congratulations on day 4
Thank you, Carlotta. I have utmost respect for the wisdom and experience of those who have been there before me, and keeping a dry house certainly seems to be the majority opinion.

When I told my wife on Sunday, "I'm done," (first time ever) she offered just that. I declined.

Perhaps I'm being naive. Time will tell. In the meantime all options remain on the table.