Notices

An Alcoholic Routine!!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An Alcoholic Routine!!

4am - oh god, it’s only a few hours until I have to get up.

6am - snooze button, snooze button, why did I drink so much?

7am - I really need to get up, I’m gonna be late for work, I’m not drinking this evening, I promise.

7.30am - I’m gonna be sick, I just brushed my teeth and I feel awful. My stomach hurts, I just threw up in the shower, brush my teeth again, mouthwash, my stomach hurts.

8am - Driving into work, hope I don’t get stopped by the police, I’m probably still drunk, please don't let me get stopped by the police, let me just get to work and I'll never do it again.

9am - I’ve made it to work, were’s the coffee, I need some gum, hope my manager doesn’t notice, coffee and gum, coffee and gum, no one will notice, I can get through this, only 8 hours to pass.

11am - I have a client, hope they don’t smell the alcohol on my breath, I need more gum and more coffee, I can do this, just get through this one meeting.

1pm - Made it to lunchtime, get something to eat, soak up that alcohol, I’m almost there, half way through the day, you're nearly there, just hang on.

3pm - Afternoon coffee, have a few cups, I’m not feeling too bad, what am I doing this evening? I’ve no plans, I may as well enjoy self, maybe I should have a beer, watch a film, kick back!!

5.30pm - Clocked out of work, feeling alright, on the way home, there’s the liquor store, it would be no harm in picking up a little something for later, I deserve it, I'm feeling good.

7pm - Cooking dinner, let’s open that wine, this is what people do, a few glasses of wine with dinner, nothing to worry about.

10pm - Might as well have a few after dinner drinks as I watch TV, a few whiskies before bed, what can it hurt.

2am - Just woke up on the Sofa, really need to go to bed, dear god hopefully I’m not too hungover in the morning, let's drink plenty of water, hopefully I'll be fine in the morning.

4am - Oh god, it’s only a few hours until I have to get up!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds about right. But surprisingly I never threw up. But the bowel movements... those are hell the day after a night of heavy drinking. TMI, I know =P
Old 04-29-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mine was similar, only not working. And I started drinking when I got up to stop the shakes. So glad that's over...
Old 04-29-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Makes my heart race just reading and thinking about it. Good reminder.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've never really had an issue getting up in the mornings, never thrown up even from the bigger binges - a lot I can relate to though. Dropping in to the off licence on the way home, yup I know that. I even went to different shops on different days, just so I wasn't going into the same place every one or two days.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! Sounds all too familiar!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Purpleknight did you used to have a camera on me?

Just one thing to add: 2pm post lunch crash, try to haul eyelids open until the afternoon coffee.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like my life not too long ago!!!! I so can relate!!!! Thanks for the reminder! Day 3 again is great....
Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup, sounds similar except I was in college...thank god that's over!!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Makes my heart race just reading and thinking about it. Good reminder.
Mine too.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Geeze, that was pretty much my exact sleeping routine. Wake up on the couch at 2 a.m. feeling like death warmed over, go chug and chug and chug out of the gallon of water, flop into bed and dread that the alarm is going to go off in four hours.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for a great thread purple knight! Such a graphic description of the dreaded loop of insanity.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Amazing isn't it how we go from being in the clutches of pure agony to hmmm maybe just one. In literally a matter of hours.

Same story, different alcoholic.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dead on!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Wow, that is my schedule, I mean was, down to puking in the shower hoping hubby didn't hear. I didn't drink coffee, energy drinks (barf and no good for blood pressure).

Always was worried about getting a morning to work DUI.

I can say while I've been having issues staying sober more than 1.5 months a time this year, I hadn't had a shower puke, or on the way to work nerves about driving in to work.

I really don't miss those.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Here's part of what I wrote on my 1 year anniversary, sounds like we all had these days.

March 9 2013,

6:45 am.. What the heck is that noise? It cant be morning already, I feel like I've only been asleep for 20 minutes. Hit the snooze button.
6:55 am.. Stupid alarm, where are you? I cant find the snooze button, throw alarm against wall, that'll shut it off.

What time did I get home last night? I vaguely remember getting home but no idea what time.

7:00 am, quick shower, it's cold here this morning and I really feel like crap.

7: 10 am. No time for breakfast, don't fee like eating anyways, gotta get the bar open.

7:25 am. Pulling into parking lot, Jeez, 3 people waiting for me to open, they know I wont serve them til 8. Why do they show up before I even get here. Definitely not gonna stay after my shift and drink.

7:45 am, I hear you knocking! We don't open til 8, last time I let you in early, you expected it from the other bartenders.

8:00 am, Bar's open. C'mon in.

9:00 am , still not hungry, still hungover, not gonna drink tonight.

12:00 noon. You 3 are still the only customers I've had today, but you're still here, get a life, you 3 are here EVERY day. Try eating lunch, it's awful, cant wait til 3 to go home and relax and recover.

12:15 pm. Finally some other customers, and two of the original 3 have left, I have made $3.00 in tips so far, that pays for the sandwich I threw out for lunch.

C'mon 3:00 I just want to go home.

2:30 pm. Start restocking and refilling for the 2nd shift. Hey guy, time to pay your tab, you've been here my whole shift again, 7 hours for a $2.00 tip, THANKS.

3:00 pm shifts over, I made $38.00 in tips for the whole day, why do I still work here, screw it I'm gonna have my shift drink, then go home.

3:15 pm, what the heck, I only made $38.00 that's not gonna pay ant bills. Might as well stick around for a bit. Another tequila please!

3:30 pm, I forgot about the Italian Dinner tonight, and I'm actually hungry finally, I guess I'll stay and have dinner, the bartenders eat free. Can I have another tequila.

5:00 pm and a few more tequilas later (not sure how many) Dinner is starting, I'll wait til the crowd dies down, then grab something, In the mean time another tequila sounds like a plan.

6:00 pm, after a few more tequila's I'm not hungry any more, I really should get home.

6:15 OK, last one and I'm outta here!

That's the way most days /nights ended, but on this particular night I ended up with a DUI
Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That sounds exactly like my life a little over a year ago, except I didn't stop drinking for the work day. I would wake up in the middle of the night, feeling withdrawal, scared or anxious and would just grab a few more gulps and pass out again. I then would wake up in the morning and drink some more to stop the shakes and anxiety, then off to work I would go. I would sneak gulps throughout the day and go absolutely crazy again at night. Passing out early in the evening and do it again the next day. In the beginning, I could avoid my coworkers and clients enough to get through the day and when forced to actually meet face to face or even on the phone I could fake it, but at the end I could barely stand up or even remember what or whom I was talking to. I have been having really bad urges to drink again. Thanks for the reminder of what I don't want to do!!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Yep. We started with Fun! Fun with Problems, the Problems. So much I remember at the end. Drank in the middle of the night so it didn't seem like I drank in the morning. Reaching for the bottle and not wanting to but having to drink. Being confronted and sent home from work. Physical issues. I was able to ride a bike to work, even that became impossible.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep sounds familiar, I too could just make it through the day at work without needing a drink but I used to live for tea time when I could start on a bottle of wine and those couple of hard spirits just before bed to send me off to sleep :/ I never thought for a long time that I was an alcoholic, I just thought I had developed an anxiety disorder due to stresses at work and booze just helped me deal with it, not that booze was causing it!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Definitely do not miss that routine!

Scary how we truly believed some toothpaste and a couple of mints would mask the alcohol smell. It's such a relief going to work knowing you don't have to worry about that anymore.

It is amazing how quickly time makes you forget how bad you felt just a few short hours before.