Notices

A final try

Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My hobbies haven't completely fallen by the wayside - but they became more peripheral and fitted in with the beers, so off out to do some photography with the planned trip via the off licence on the way back. I used to be quite prolific with that and writing, which I've barely done anything with the last year. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I can do instead, before it was always the drink that came first - the house needs a massive spring clean because I honestly can't remember the last time I vacuumed.

I'm not sure if the drinking has interfered with my work, I'm sure it must have had some impact to a degree; I don't really get the hangovers with the throbbing head, I always tried to keep hydrated and prefered long drinks over neat (that may well have been the next progression). I can get irritated at work with people randomly tapping / whistling / humming - I wonder if that irritability is down to the affect the booze has on my noggin sometimes - but rages or physical fights whilst fueled up have never happened.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So day three. I've been reading quite a lot of posts on the forum, from why people have given up to symptoms they've had from drinking. I seriously hadn't realised quite how deeply in trouble I was, reading symptoms and saying, yes, yes, yes - a number of which I just put down to getting older such and knees creaking and how these disappeared down the line.

Usually by now I'd have finished off my first drink, usually a strong import belgian beer or real ale, you know, just line the stomach for the night ahead. Then it would depend what was in the house, usually vodka/juice/lemonade in a pint glass - vodka 1/3rd to 1/2 topped up with the mixer and the night is set. Wine would be fine there'd usually be something in the house as I didn't like to run out in the middle of a session.

With my head clearing a little bit today I've noticed that my vision has gone a little blurry in the left eye - I thought it was a dirty contact lens. I reckon I've had lucky warning shot with last w/e - I'd still be drinking if it wasn't for that, and I think I was pretty close to the cliff edge - another 3-6 months of it at the same level and I think I'd not be sitting here at home :/
Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome GP. Glad you are finding the site helpful already.

You sound committed - even though questioning and having doubts is normal! Look forward to seeing you around.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm under no illussion this is going to be difficult going forward, I've stopped before and started up again. I can't do that this time - I can't afford to because my body will simply corode it's had as much as it can take.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So a year ago I made the first post in this thread. A year on and I'm still keeping it clean. Healthier, slimmer, happier

Hang on in there if you're still struggling - it is possible to kick habbit, you just need to get it in your head it's for the best.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's fantastic to hear GP - go you!

D
Old 04-30-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Two year anniversary and counting
Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
Two year anniversary and counting
You should share some tips for the newcomers.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You should share some tips for the newcomers.
My experience: You have to want to stop for yourself, once you've decided that, it's a one day at a time thing
Old 04-30-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome
Old 04-30-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update and congratulations on 2 years of recovery.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations GP
Old 04-30-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congrats, GP! It's great to see people come back with updates like yours!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That's beyond awesome, GoingPostal! Congrats. It's so awesome to see a success story. I'm so glad you've got your life on track.