Notices

Gollito

Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Gollito

Female alcoholic in need to stopped drinking 2/24/2014 but drank 4/24/2014but,next day went back on track. Need help staying sober.I'm 62 yrs old,next month will be 63.I would happy to hear from females .Thanks,,:group hug:,,:
Old 04-29-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How do you stay sober
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I got sober at 50 (also stopped smoking weed) and now almost have 3 years of sobriety!

You are worth sobriety!!! Keep moving forward and stay stopped!!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

One day at a time. Sometimes one minute at a time. I work the 12 steps, but there are other methods for staying stopped.

rational recovery
smart
avrt
sos
women for sobriety
life ring

Whatever works, do it and do it well! Come to the chat room here!! Meeting tonight from 9-10 EST
Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.

I stay sober by remembering how much I have to lose if I drink again. I have very clear memories of how I was and don't want to go back to that dark place.

If you get the urge to drink, come here and tell on yourself. We'll try to 'talk you off the ledge'.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, often it is one minute at a time.

Something that helped me a lot was to pay attention to HALT when you want a drink.

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

They are four common triggers. I check through that list whenever I feel a need to drink. Usually one or more are in play, and when I correct that need, I've been able to maintain sobriety.

Just don't pick up a drink, no matter what. Everything else is manageable when I do that.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To be content

Welcome gollito. I come here to SR on my bad days. I always came up with an excuse to have "one." I have had to tell myself that I do not drink under any circumstance. I never took myself half seriously when telling myself I was going to quit, even when I was so unhappy drinking. There is great advice and help here. Being able to relate to others here and take advice from the experienced helps me tremendously. Wish you the best!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gollito. I hope you'll keep posting - we all understand what you're going through.

I was older when I quit too - I never thought I could live without it, but it was destroying me. We do not need it - you can get free and never go back to that way of living.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HALT has helped me too. I stopped at age 55 over 7 months ago. Just resolve not to drink no matter what. The rewards are worth it, you are worth it.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Gollito & welcome.
I am a chronic relapser and the first indication I am on a downward spiral is when I isolate. I have to physically take my body to a f2f meeting as often as possible and come here to SR multiple times daily. I PRAY for help in the morning, and I thank God at night. I don't drink today. I read the big book and listen to AA speakers on YouTube. So far it is working. Congratulations on 3 months sobriety; you were doing something right! Stay close, we will help each other.

Last edited by StormiNormi; 04-29-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: word add
Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gollito - I'm 55 I have a little over 80 days sober. I turn to God to help me in my sobriety. That is what works for me.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Gollito and welcome to SR I am 54 and only have 75 days sober SR is a great place for support , hope you decide to stick around.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Gollito

I'm not a female but I wanted to welcome you anyway

D
Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

BTW- I am a 51 y/o woman, with 17 days of sobriety.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Gollito, welcome to SR and congratulations on the great birthday present you are going to give yourself -- sobriety. It's my birthday next month too, I'll be 59 so we are practically the same age.

In the early days of recovery it helped me to make an alternative plan for the evenings (which was when I drank) -- a non-alcoholic drink that I liked in a nice glass, a good satisfying meal, a walk after dinner, then lots of time reading and posting on SR. I hung on tight to that routine in the early weeks, I was quite selfish and didn't let anything interfere with that and it worked.

You can do this one day at a time.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Gollito, I pay attention to HALT like Bimini wrote out. It helps a lot. I also attend AA meetings and have been making friends with the women there for support.

I try to keep busy with little things to distract me. Coming here. Texting friends if I can't talk right then. Calling if I can.

One day at a time.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Gollito!

I am a female who got sober later in life at 48. And it was after many tries and a lot of Living Hell. The best and most simple way for me to stay sober is to continually "Play the tape all the way through" every time a drink "sounds good" to me. I ask myself "Would you really enjoy it the way you did way back when?" The answer is an immediate no. I also have taken on daily responsibilities and activities; things that I must be accountable for every day. In addition I attend AA meetings and Bible Study...the busier you are and the more you have to be accountable for the better!

Last edited by sillysuzanfree; 04-29-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: make a change