Notices

Day 9 Wow what a crappy day!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 Wow what a crappy day!

Hey there SR!

Wow this day has gone down the toilet! Work has been extra challenging and everyone seems to be pushing my buttons. The old me would go home and drink a six pack but what would that do for me. I figure that this is my first real test with living life on lifes terms. Just thought I'd post my frustration. Hope everyone is having a better day then me!

Garrison
Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I was just looking at the Old Farmer's Almanac "Best Days" chart, and today is a good day for... nothing. Yesterday was a good day to end projects, and tomorrow is a good day to start projects.

You're not alone!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm sorry you're having such a crappy day, but just think how awesome you're going to feel when you've lived through it without a drink. Not drinking will make your bad day better.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on recognizing the trigger, Garrison. I couldn't wait to get home after a difficult day and gulp down a super-sized mixed drink to deal with it. And then a second and third....But, as you point out, it doesn't really do anything to make the day better. And it frequently made my night worse, and the next morning even worse still.

But that doesn't change the fact that the cravings will be there. Often. So you need to think of ways to get past that. I crack a diet ginger ale as soon as I get home. I eat as soon as possible after I get home. It takes the edge off of the alcohol craving. Different things work for different people. But you need to find something that works for you to get you past those cravings.

The good news is that the cravings really do subside. It takes months. But they do subside. You just have to get past that initial hump to make the future cravings easier to deal with.

Good luck. You are doing great. Know that you are on the right path and that you are doing the right thing. Because you are.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

coldfusion, that's every day.
hang in there cmm, it has nothing to do with AVs losing last night does it?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice. I definately think that when i get home after a meeting i will eat something because that definately helps me.
Not the Av's just work related stuff. Making a mistake that my boss now has to deal with to the guy who work i with saying "oh i should've asked you to get me a glass with ice in as i walk down the stairs with mine but i wouldn't know what you'd put in it." As he laughs.
Just silly things like that.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Comtnman740, 9 days is FANTASTIC, congratulations. Rootin for ya.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
Hey there SR!

Wow this day has gone down the toilet! Work has been extra challenging and everyone seems to be pushing my buttons. The old me would go home and drink a six pack but what would that do for me. I figure that this is my first real test with living life on lifes terms. Just thought I'd post my frustration. Hope everyone is having a better day then me!

Garrison
I understand 100% but drinking does not make a bad day better, it just extends it to the following morning.

Hope your day gets better.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. Great honesty and it sounds like you are handling it well. Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Sounds like a brilliant day, cm - your first real test and you've smashed it!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks! On top of this my father has been planning to come out well since last Thanksgiving but something always comes up. Well finally he decided he wanted to come out in May and i thought about what it would be like. Spending time with someone who drinks round the clock. I wouldn't feel comfortable so i told him that i'd like it if he'd come out in June or July instead because work is super busy and i'd have more time to spend with him. Well i called him on Sunday and asked him to call me back and i haven't heard from him. I was going to tell him that i was going to AA but didn't want to talk about that with him right now so told him work is busy..which is true. Anyway kinda pissed that he hasn't called back.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Comtnman.

Good job on dealing with stressful day and staying sober.

Crappy days come and go. Tomorrow will be a brand new day which you will face hangover free and with a clear head and vision.

Workouts help a lot to shake off the stress of a day as well.

Having some "back-up plan" is useful too. Like "what would I do if I face a stressful situation and have urge to drink?. Better to be prepared - AV likes to attack unexpectedly.

Best wishes to you. keep it up. Life is so much better sober.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on nine days.

Your father is "drinking around the clock" - I'm guessing he is going to continue to disappoint you.

You've got a good handle on your emotions, that's a huge step. Keep it going.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There will always be bad days. But not drinking means they won't get worse.