Notices

boring

Old 04-29-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

boring

Anyone else feel boring? I feel like I have the personality of a dial tone these days. What's up with that? It's been 23 days ... excited about that ... But geesh. I think even my step mom ... who worried about my drinking .... thinks something is wrong with me. She keeps asking, ' are you OK? ' I'm happier. Much. But feel like it doesn't show.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on twenty three days. It takes a while for the brain to adjust to sobriety. Boredom can be fixed by finding something to do. What are you doing, activity wise, that you weren't doing while you were drinking?

However, maybe what you are calling "boredom" is discontentment with sobriety. That is fixed by have a solid plan for recovery and living sober. Do you have that?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found my emotions were all over the place. Sometimes I'd cry for no good reason, sometimes feel happy and sometimes I didn't show much emotion at all. I remember one of my kids saying something funny and then commenting that I never laugh. Inside I thought it was funny but nothing seemed to come out. Give it time, emotions do level out, it just takes time. These days I laugh alot more. The other day my son did an impression of me and I laughed so hard I cried...hadn't laughed at loud like that in awhile. Hang in there, you'll level out and your true personality will show itself.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Existentially, boredom is a fundamental condition of existence. We reach out for pleasure and, for a while, manage to attain it. And then we seek more pleasure. The result of this constant grasping-for-pleasure is...boredom.

You will have to accept boredom as a natural state.

May I suggest some hobbies? Some (non-addictive) pleasurable pursuits? Or, if those fail, just work. Work until you collapse. Work provides meaning and a degree of pleasure.

I am currently incredibly bored.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No ... no .... I am NOT bored. I feel like I am boring to others. Big difference. I feel like I come across flat. That's all. I am really not bored. Just the opposite.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Being bored and being perceived as boring are almost identical.

Be gentle with yourself, and good luck.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Drinking became the new normal for us. To ourselves and to everyone around us. I started a thread yesterday about impatience. Someone added fear and disillusionment to that. Now we can add boredom to the list.I'm at 2 and a half months sober now. It apparently must take a bit longer than that to feel "settled." I was once sober for 2 years. I don't remember at what point I started feeling normal. I do remember reaching the point where I didn't think about alcohol anymore. Apparently, I did start thinking about it again because, well, here I am again!

The same refrain I keep hearing over and over is that it just takes time. We didn't become alcoholics overnight. It took one day at a time. Its gonna take one day at a time to build a new life, without the poison. I think it will definitely be worth the wait.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luisalehz View Post
No ... no .... I am NOT bored. I feel like I am boring to others. Big difference. I feel like I come across flat. That's all. I am really not bored. Just the opposite.
I get what you're saying. I would come across a different way than I actually felt inside. Sometimes expressionless or flat - boring - even though that's not how I necessarily felt. I think in early sobriety we are processing so many emotions without numbing them that it takes time for our brain to work it all out. In time my outside came back into sync with my inside.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Keep doing what you are doing! 23 days is awesome. There are lots of changes happening within you and it is all good as long as you don't drink.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, if you used alcohol and or drugs to feel, I sort of liken sobriety as to driving at 150mph and all of a sudden bringing it back ot 65mph. 150 was not sustainable or you owuld have kept going. But relatively speaking 65mph is going to feel slow. 23 days is great but it takes a while to settle into a new normal, this is why relapse is so high among addicts.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep going. 23 days is terrific. I've tried to stop thinking about what I think other people might think about me!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Great job on 23 days.
Maybe it is just the AV trying to tell you that you are boring now.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

speaking for a "senior" who is 2/3 the way thru life (if god sees fit to let me be over 90) I have TOO much I'd like to do on my "bucket list". OK, so I crossed off going on a sea cruise (one is enough for that) or spending a couple of weekends at a nudie resort (that was fun, I can repeat that) SKY diving may be up in the future since I live not too far from Eloy AZ.
Folks - please enjoy your lives now that you are fully conscious. Coco Montoya sings the lyrics in FREE - "spent so much time wasted, wasted so much time".
and it IS true - " you don't miss what you had until it's gone". Buddah tells us to WAKE UP - be fully aware of the good and the bad - because life is always changing. that is one thing we CANNOT change. I'm anticipating living my last third (30 years) of my life exploring and dealing with reality. Everybody else can avoid it, but I'm enjoying it full tilt bogie. Namaste, ziggy

Last edited by azbluesgal; 04-29-2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: typo