Notices

Day 8 and Starting to Readjust

Old 04-28-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 and Starting to Readjust

I made it to day 8 and I'm happy, but the euphoria is kind of wearing off now. I'm having trouble just living normally. I still find that when I get home from work that I'm tired and just want to lay down for an hour. I know in part it's adjusting to an earlier schedule but also I know it's due to my body getting used to not having booze.

But when I wake up, I just don't know what to do with myself. Well let me rephrase, I have things I'd like to do but just lack the motivation or energy to do them. Outside of watching TV or reading, I just can't push myself to do anything more productive. I just sit until it's time to go to bed, get up in the morning, and repeat...

I'm glad I'm not drinking but I don't know if I particularly like this state either...
Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It takes the body and the mind quite a long time to heal from the damage that we have done by drinking. I slept a ton. Every day you are sober is a productive day! Some days I still tell myself that and I've been sober for a little over a year. Sometimes that in and of itself is enough!

This phase that you are going through will pass. Give yourself some time...and a great big hug as you are doing wonderful!!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Comingoutsober.

Congrats on day 8! You've survived the first week, but you are still very early in sobriety. At this stage I felt the same, sometimes couldn't bring myself do anything and just stared the walls.

Be patient with yourself now. Give your body and mind some time. Don't challenge yourself with big tasks - you'll have the entire sober lifetime for this). We've been abusing our bodies for years, and it needs just months to recover - sounds like a square deal to me.

Keep up good sobriety job! Energy will be back.

Best wishes to you.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post comingoutsober. I too am on day 8 and feel shattered. Having stopped before I know that it gets better however that doesn't help in the meantime does it? For me I'm still achieving way more than I was just over a week ago. Yes I'm tired and feel like c*** but I'm very content, well I'm content until 4-8pm when the want of a drink takes over

Your motivation and want to do things will be back. See this as a necessary healing time and remember to talk kindly to yourself.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8 !!
I'm on day 9 today and I can relate to your lack of motivation. I too have things I need/want to get done. Yesterday I found myself just staring at my computer wondering "What now." I got up and looked at a project of mine, held some parts in my hand. I set them down and went back to the computer and watched a movie instead. It will be nice when the motivation returns.... You're not alone.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 24 and still adjusting. Give yourself time and a pat on the back
Diana
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by comingoutsober View Post
I made it to day 8 and I'm happy, but the euphoria is kind of wearing off now. I'm having trouble just living normally. I still find that when I get home from work that I'm tired and just want to lay down for an hour. I know in part it's adjusting to an earlier schedule but also I know it's due to my body getting used to not having booze.

But when I wake up, I just don't know what to do with myself. Well let me rephrase, I have things I'd like to do but just lack the motivation or energy to do them. Outside of watching TV or reading, I just can't push myself to do anything more productive. I just sit until it's time to go to bed, get up in the morning, and repeat...

I'm glad I'm not drinking but I don't know if I particularly like this state either...
This is just like I was posting early on in my experiences, it is just a feeling of not being settled, mentally and physically missing something but we all know what that something was don't we? It a big void to fill and quite an overwhelming feeling initially to be honest, you are doing amazingingly well and I can only advise on taking one day at a time, on old cliche but it strikes true on so many levels,
Wishing you well.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My life has gotten much better in the 8 months that I have been sober. But it is, .... different. It is merely a reflection of how much time we have spent drinking and how much of a physical effect that alcohol had on us. For me it was a pretty drastic adjustment. I used alcohol for much of my entertainment. I used it to sleep. I used it to relax. I used it to give me the motivation to do work.

As you get further into sobriety, you will realize that alcohol is, in reality, not a very good vehicle for motivation, sleep, entertainment, etc. But you will have to allow yourself to take some time to re-adjust your mind and to re-adjust your body away from influence that alcohol held over you.

It does take time. And it can be difficult. But, from where I sit now, I can assure you that you will find more ways to entertain yourself, more motivation, and better energy levels than you had while drunk or hungover.

Good luck. And congratulations on Day 8. You are doing great. Keep it up.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not an alcoholic, but a relative of one. I don't think there is that much education about PAWS - Even in rehab or detox environments - I just don't think it is given enough credence. It takes a while for the physical effects to normalize - you are in a "healing crisis" - when you "detox," the toxins are flooded in your system . . . that is one thing.

Then there are the long-term effects of PAWS - the emotional, mental, and psychological effects. Mood swings, sleep disturbances, anxiety, depression - these are all part of the healing process of detoxing (short and long term).

i read an article that said the effects can last two years - so give yourself a break. Take good care of yourself. Rest. Eat well, etc. You are healing!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Something that helped me in the early days was to make a list of things I wanted/needed to accomplish and each day I would make sure I could scratch at least three of them off my list.

I hope your motivation increases.