Notices

Scared and Depressed

Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Rar

Running to Dr Google is understandable but it's just not definitive by any means, ok?
Your (real) Dr seems in no particular hurry

Wait to have your ultrasound and then see your Dr - the great likelihood is the results will probably be nothing like you fear

D
Old 04-28-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sending up prayers for you. Congrats on 86 days sober!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Rar

I hope you're right, Dee. I actually saw my doctor this last Friday about tendinitis and during the visit, I brought my prior blood work up to him. He then proceeded with ordering the ultrasound. This is what's cool about my doctor: When I asked what my insurance company is going to say about the ultrasound, blood tests, etc., he said, "They aren't going to know about the alcohol." I know I shouldn't seek out Dr. Google, but I just found this online, Alcoholic Fatty Liver:Alcoholic fatty liver is the earliest stage of alcohol-related liver disease. The liver is damaged by heavy drinking and unable to break down fats. If the patient abstains from alcohol, the fatty liver will go away. Within six weeks of being alcohol-free, the fat will disappear. However, if excessive alcohol use continues, cirrhosis may develop. This cheers me up somewhat (if that's what's wrong).
Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
orangutan

I hope the test goes well for you Rar. Thinking of you.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I hope you're right, Dee. I actually saw my doctor this last Friday about tendinitis and during the visit, I brought my prior blood work up to him. He then proceeded with ordering the ultrasound. This is what's cool about my doctor: When I asked what my insurance company is going to say about the ultrasound, blood tests, etc., he said, "They aren't going to know about the alcohol." I know I shouldn't seek out Dr. Google, but I just found this online, Alcoholic Fatty Liver:Alcoholic fatty liver is the earliest stage of alcohol-related liver disease. The liver is damaged by heavy drinking and unable to break down fats. If the patient abstains from alcohol, the fatty liver will go away. Within six weeks of being alcohol-free, the fat will disappear. However, if excessive alcohol use continues, cirrhosis may develop. This cheers me up somewhat (if that's what's wrong).

Her Rar! I'm new to these forums. How long had you been drinking and how much? I have fatty liver disease (or did during my last check). To get cirrhosis it usually takes quite a bit of drinking for years.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Rar

@ Scoob12: First off, Welcome. I'm pleased to meet you. I was an occasional drinker until about 10-12 years ago when I began having 1 -3 light beers everyday. When my twin sister died 6 years ago, I went into self-destruct mode and began smoking and drinking more. I quit smoking over 3 years ago, but the drinking increased at that time to 5-7 light beers every day. I learned my liver enzymes were elevated through a routine blood test on another issue.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Rar in January & February last year I had a really fat left ankle on a slender foot. I knew I was drinking too much so I self-diagnosed myself with gout then imagined all sorts of scenarios about how I would tell my friends and family I had gout, how I would manage to keep drinking the amount I was after the doctor's future diagnosis confirming gout, how the medication would affect me.

Fortunately I didn't google about the ankle, I googled about drinking too much and I found SR, I joined the March class and now I've been sober 13 months.

The ankle? I needed an orthotic fitted, it's been done and now my ankle is normal size. And since joining SR I have found that gout has numerous causes and effects.

Blood tests? So normal I'm invisible in the crowd.

You've got a great sobriety record to date, consolidate on it. Leave Google alone and pay attention to this medical man who is taking good care of you and investigating a result that is slightly out of the usual range. You could phone his secretary to make an appointment to speak to him on the phone today, talking to him may reassure you.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Rar

Thank you Marcher. I had to chuckle a bit about the gout. I had an extremely sore, swollen big toe I surely thought was gout due to my alcohol consumption. Hence, I avoided going to the doctor for treatment because of the embarrassment of having gout. Eventually I did go to the podiatrist last year and discovered I had arthritis, exacerbated by wearing high heels every day. Duh!!!!

Congratulations on your length of sobriety. Awesome!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Rar, think good thoughts. My liver enzymes were MUCH higher than yours and after six months of sobriety were in the normal (actually low normal) range with no permanent liver damage. The liver is an amazing organ. Sending positive vibes your way.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
Hi Rar, think good thoughts. My liver enzymes were MUCH higher than yours and after six months of sobriety were in the normal (actually low normal) range with no permanent liver damage. The liver is an amazing organ. Sending positive vibes your way.
Awesome news Lulu. You must have been so relieved. Congrats on your length of sobriety.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Prayers for you. Deep heartfelt prayers for your health.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Rar, LuLu13's words are spot-on. My own experience in this area has been both frightening and enlightening.

My doc's words: "The liver is amazingly resilient...up until a point. If you keep damaging it, there's only so much that it can do."

Before entering detox in mid-February, my numbers (tests run on 12/5/13) were as follows (just pulled them up for reference):

Bilirubin: 1.7 (normal range is 0.3-1.2)
AST: 249 (normal range is 15-41)
ALT: 259 (normal range is 17-63)

Needless to say, I was scared beyond belief. Still, my doctor was reassuring and told me that if I abstained completely from alcohol, the numbers would likely come down. He instructed me to return for retesting one month after getting sober.

I left detox on 2/15/14, and had blood drawn again on 3/17/14. The results were as follows:

Bilirubin: 1.2
AST: 91
ALT: 119

You can imagine my relief! I'll be going back in June for another round of blood tests to ensure the numbers continue a downward trend.

I hope this information provides you with some encouragement, Rar. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress!

Bob
Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by bobquin View Post
Rar, LuLu13's words are spot-on. My own experience in this area has been both frightening and enlightening.

My doc's words: "The liver is amazingly resilient...up until a point. If you keep damaging it, there's only so much that it can do."

Before entering detox in mid-February, my numbers (tests run on 12/5/13) were as follows (just pulled them up for reference):

Bilirubin: 1.7 (normal range is 0.3-1.2)
AST: 249 (normal range is 15-41)
ALT: 259 (normal range is 17-63)

Needless to say, I was scared beyond belief. Still, my doctor was reassuring and told me that if I abstained completely from alcohol, the numbers would likely come down. He instructed me to return for retesting one month after getting sober.

I left detox on 2/15/14, and had blood drawn again on 3/17/14. The results were as follows:

Bilirubin: 1.2
AST: 91
ALT: 119

You can imagine my relief! I'll be going back in June for another round of blood tests to ensure the numbers continue a downward trend.

I hope this information provides you with some encouragement, Rar. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress!

Bob
OMG Bob! That is such tremendous progress. Clearly your test results show the healing that is taking place. I'm so happy for you. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I DO feel encouraged. Congratulations on your sobriety. By the way, it sounds as if your doctor is a keeper.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thinking about you today, Rar. I hope all goes well and you get good news. Deep breaths and stay calm. Waiting is the hardest part.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hope all goes well with your sonogram today, Rar let us know, please.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

All the best for today Rar, my thoughts and prayers are with you today. x
Old 05-01-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good luck Rar!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Rar

Well folks, those prayers are working. I had my ultrasound this morning. Since I had to fast for the ultrasound, I thought I would go ahead and get the other blood work done rather than fast twice. The ultrasound tech told me that it would be 48 hours before the ultrasound was read, so it looks like it might be Monday.

The health care center I go to has a patient portal where you can view your appointments, lab results, etc. I checked on the chance that today's lab work would be posted and it WAS! Here are the results:

AST: 19 (Prior 53) Normal range is 15-46
ALT: 24 (Prior 91) Normal range is 7-56

So they're NORMAL: Also, all the tests for hepatitis were normal too. Now I'm waiting on the ultrasound. Maybe they'll be posted on the patient portal tomorrow.

Incidentally, today is my 90th day without alcohol.

Thank you folks for your prayers and thinking of me.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Congratulations
Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to hear that rar

D