Notices

Time to fix up and stay clean

Old 04-28-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to fix up and stay clean

Right. I am a University student in England, 20 years old. I am so disappointed in myself that it has come to this. I have always been a strong sportsman from a young age and I am surprised my levels of motivation and dedication have let me down.

Marijuana is addictive, you are just ignorant if you believe otherwise.

I have taken the step to quit, this will be my second time. The first time attempted was a month ago. I managed for a week (by the end of the week I felt on top of the world, a different person) and I stupidly fell back into my old habits when I had to face a 25 hour coach journey and had an easy opportunity to score some weed, after reasoning with myself and just one wouldn't hurt. Well 2 weeks and half an ounce later look where it's got me, rock bottom in the same sticky mess.

Why have I taken this step? I woke up this morning, the first thing that crossed my mind was crap, I need to get some weed today. This has to be a bad sign. Plus I am fed up of directly and indirectly making mistakes around me with close friends and family, and this habit really isn't an option for me to maintain.

I woke up this morning at 10am after smoking until 4am with friends. Made a few big changes on my path to sobriety. Firstly, I have changed my phone number and deleted any traces to weed possible. I have also deactivated Facebook and have sent my private email address to friends that are not affiliated in anyway with smoking and are just simply good people. Plus got sick and tired of seeing my stoner friends at the top of my chat list. I am planning this to be a temporary change and when I am stronger I will go back to my old number (any thoughts from ex smokers?).

The next change I made this morning was to register myself up for help with a charity, and I have a meeting booked for the 6th of May. I am so happy to have this option, I did not know it was available until I saw an advertisement in the street. It is time to stop reasoning with myself, smoking weed daily is for some people but I can't seem to cope and I admit this and want change.

So to summarise, it would be excellent to stay sober until the 6th which is in 9 days, and to be able to walk in there and just have a brief chat and not require any further help. Whether or not this post gets replies I already feel better getting it out.

Thanks

Anonymous

P.S happy to reply to others if they want a chat and are in the similar boat or maybe you have something inspiring to pass on..
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I also made many poor decisions when I was high on weed.

I gave up weed and alcohol almost 3 years ago, at the age of 50, so it can be done! I wasted way too many years.....

I know YOU CAN DO THIS! Awesome decision to stop and stay stopped!!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi notonmygame, welcome to SR. What you have done with all the changes is awesome! Very smart moves. My problem substance is alcohol and I've never been a weed smoker other than trying it maybe 5-6 times in total, but know enough people who have had issues with it.

I would really recommend NOT reversing the phone number etc changes. You are also not alone with social media being a trigger, I've heard this from quite a few others. For me it wasn't Facebook but a "secret" email address that I used with a person with whom I was very deeply and intimately bound with in addiction. I could never quit booze and my crazy lifestyle as long as I kept in touch with that person, and I did try for years. Long story, but finally I had to completely cut connection with him, changed my email address, erased from my computer any trace leading to our private connection, etc. I thought I would go insane for months but kept to it. Unfortunately only took care of the alcohol problem a couple years later - it would have been better to be done with the whole complex earlier.

It's also great that you sought help and made an appointment. If you find it helpful, I would suggest that you keep going for a while.

There are a few people here on SR who are trying to quit weed - look around.

Good luck
Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome notonmygame

I smoked daily for 30 years or thereabouts...you can quit and stay quit, if you're prepared to make some changes, and it sounds like you are

Glad to have you join us

D
Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Life is MUCH better without weed as you already have experienced with your one week off and feeling much better for it, so you KNOW. Like Dee, I too smoked for 30 years and wish I had quit YEARS ago, so you're really saving yourself by quitting now. You don't want it to slowly drain your future life away. Stick around, read and I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information and great support. You've made a very WISE choice!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

I appreciate your thoughts and your time taken to reply.

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi notonmygame, welcome to SR. What you have done with all the changes is awesome! Very smart moves. My problem substance is alcohol and I've never been a weed smoker other than trying it maybe 5-6 times in total, but know enough people who have had issues with it.

I would really recommend NOT reversing the phone number etc changes. You are also not alone with social media being a trigger, I've heard this from quite a few others. For me it wasn't Facebook but a "secret" email address that I used with a person with whom I was very deeply and intimately bound with in addiction. I could never quit booze and my crazy lifestyle as long as I kept in touch with that person, and I did try for years. Long story, but finally I had to completely cut connection with him, changed my email address, erased from my computer any trace leading to our private connection, etc. I thought I would go insane for months but kept to it. Unfortunately only took care of the alcohol problem a couple years later - it would have been better to be done with the whole complex earlier.

It's also great that you sought help and made an appointment. If you find it helpful, I would suggest that you keep going for a while.

There are a few people here on SR who are trying to quit weed - look around.

Good luck
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notonmygame View Post
I appreciate your thoughts and your time taken to reply.
You are welcome. One reason why I think it's super smart of you (also considering your age!!) to make all these changes is because what you have done is in line with many years and decades of scientific research into addictions, relapse, etc. Not sure where you got these ideas from, but you are truly on a good track with your actions, I think.

Basically, what you've done with cutting / changing those "stoner" connections is what's known as eliminating addiction related "cues", in addiction neuroscience.

Based on what all this research suggests, an even more efficient way might be to seek out other former "stoners" that will never give you weed or lead you into using again. Basically, ex marijuana users that share your concerns and are also trying to steer clear. And you are doing just that here.

Good job, keep it up!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The changes I made just seemed obvious to me when I woke up, realising if I wanted change I had to change my ways or my circle would continue, this morning I was not in a good place but I am glad, tough love perhaps and some strong decisions have been made. Another further change I have done is I rearranged my room so my routine is different, triggers and all. My best friend has always smoked with me and he was a bit surprised by my actions when I saw him mid day today, but he understands and I think he is coming round to the idea for himself, regardless I have made it clear I will cut connections with him if he starts any silly ideas.

Some may be thinking alarm bells right now, but I will prove them all wrong. End of day 1, 11:17pm and I am ready for bed, no cravings as of yet, think my determination is in over drive right now.

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
You are welcome. One reason why I think it's super smart of you (also considering your age!!) to make all these changes is because what you have done is in line with many years and decades of scientific research into addictions, relapse, etc. Not sure where you got these ideas from, but you are truly on a good track with your actions, I think.

Basically, what you've done with cutting / changing those "stoner" connections is what's known as eliminating addiction related "cues", in addiction neuroscience.

Based on what all this research suggests, an even more efficient way might be to seek out other former "stoners" that will never give you weed or lead you into using again. Basically, ex marijuana users that share your concerns and are also trying to steer clear. And you are doing just that here.

Good job, keep it up!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR - it's great to have you with us.

When I first joined I was so relieved to have a place where everyone understood me. No one in my life got it. You sound very determined - and we know you can do this. Thankfully you're young and can avoid the misery so many of us fell prey to. Good to meet you notonmygame.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Anonymous" ? You can't fool me notonmygame, I know it's you. You put your name up there in the corner.
Sounds like a good healthy response to your awakening. I hope it all works. Others have given you great advice.
I just hope that when you make it those 9 days that you continue and go for at least 20,000 more. Is that the plan?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was not to sure how to finish my first post haha. I am stopping for good. A long day of thinking and I have concluded that regardless of the problem, I feel like 95% of them stem from weed one way or another. I do appreciate you reading my post and your reflection!!

Take care
Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mr.Not; you are simply delightful! Congratulations on doing the next right thing. Keep up your great attitude and focused determination; the world will be your oyster one day. Don't forget about SR when you are rich and famous! Best wishes and keep coming back!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks