Notices

Drunk behavior

Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk behavior

Hi,
I am hoping to get some information regarding my qualifier. He has been sober
64 days this time. Today he seemed to be struggling, he couldn't seem to
Speak clearly today and he was walking with that deliberate walk he got when he had been drinking, the trouble is he was not drinking (yes I'm sure)

Has anyone heard of this happening? Is possibly a dry drunk? Has anyone
Seen this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pickles,
the situation sounds sketchy. With the limited info that you gave, it's truly hard to discern anything. Although, a dry drunk doesn't literally act drunk; it is an emotional state, rather than physical.
Bottom line: we could use a little more information. Also, what do you mean by "qualifier"? Fill us in. We will definitely try to help.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drunk behavior

Back to basics thank you for such a quick response,
Qualifier (my alcoholic) he agreed to and past a breathalyzer twice today. He didn't actually act drunk, at least not the behavior I have seen in the past. When I talked to him about his behavior he did complain that he did not feel right he recognized that something was wrong. I hope that helps I want to help if he needs help but I also do not want to be fooled again. Can a breathalyzer be fooled?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pickles - welcome

If it's a struggle for him to speak clearly and walk, and he 'does not feel right', it's probably best for him to see a Dr. and get checked out

D
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Has he been complaining of any discomfort, be it physical, or emotional? If so, I have to agree with Dee. We are not professionals. Although, if the situation is a matter of him just appearing to be under the influence, and it is you who are worrying about his well-being, he may be taking other substances. Does he have a history with pills, marijuana, etc.? I ask because, as far as I know, a breathalyzer cannot be fooled; if he has been drinking, it would show.
We on SR definitely wish you and him the best. Again, if he seems to be "off", he may need some medical attention.
Let us know how it goes. Be well.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like Paws - Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome which can impair coordination.

The Symptoms of Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome |
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd be getting him to the doctor, sooner rather than later. Problems with speech and gait, especially combined, is worrisome.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Pickles1962 View Post
Can a breathalyzer be fooled?
Depends on the type you're using. About a year and a half ago I bought one for my SO to use on me, as a way to show her I was serious. (I was serious for a couple months but eventually went back to drinking.) I learned that if the batteries were really low, it would appear to be working correctly but would always register a 0.0! My SO didn't know to look at the battery strength indicator. She was only looking at what I blew. Switched to a fresh battery and the reading was altogether different. That's not necessarily "fooling" it but it did expose a flaw in that particular model.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Could be he's abusing something other than alcohol (pills, etc). Could be he's having blood sugar issues (hypoglycemia). Could be a stroke or TIA. Could be depression or, I suppose PAWS (although PAWS isn't really a recognized diagnosis as far as mainstream medicine is concerned).

Either way I would seek medical attention ASAP. For example, if he's having a stroke and it's passed off as "just PAWS" that could be serious.

-DrS
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't like to suggest it's PAWs or anything else.
I have no idea. Nobody else here does either.

The best course of action is for him is to get checked out. Best to be safe
Old 04-28-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us. There's a lot of wisdom and support here at all hours of the day and night.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like a potential neuro issue that needs to be checked out by an MD. I hope you guys can get him seen quickly.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep in mind we really shouldn't be offering disagnoses guys.
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Personal experience only please.

D
Old 04-28-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've debated myself long enough. Pickles did you feed your alcoholic today
who administered the breathalyzer test to your alcoholic. did you ask your alcoholic if he needed medi cal help. I can't give medical advice either. But if my alcoholic was exhibiting these behaviors I wwould have called a doctor.

Our posts crossed dee

Last edited by LBrain; 04-28-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: timing
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Definitely one for the doctor Pickles as there are other conditions apart from drunkenness that can mimic the signs you've described.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing. Not fun being on this end of it, trying to keep things healing with my wife. I think I will see my Dr.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pickles1962 View Post
Back to basics thank you for such a quick response,
Qualifier (my alcoholic) he agreed to and past a breathalyzer twice today. He didn't actually act drunk, at least not the behavior I have seen in the past. When I talked to him about his behavior he did complain that he did not feel right he recognized that something was wrong. I hope that helps I want to help if he needs help but I also do not want to be fooled again. Can a breathalyzer be fooled?
Pickles , please get him to a DR. now, I just went to a wake last night for my SO's nephews wife. She was 53 and used alcohol and pills, to what extent I do not know , she was a hippie type fun lady. She was trying to order something on HSN on the computer and suddenly complained of not being able to concentrate or complete the transaction, she went to bed , taking a sleepping pill , and died in her sleep! Please get him checked out! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby