Notices

Will I ever learn?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I ever learn?

Hi

I guess this is/was classic for many people here.. anyway

I keep going back and forth.. binge days, to deep frightening depression, to abstinence for some days, thinking "now I quit!".. then back to drinking again

I keep falling into the trap "this is not a problem.. I can drink in weekends only"
And I always end up in the dark hole

How can I stay sober?
Will power seems to work at first only, then I slowly forget how horrible drinking made me

I want to feel good, live my life and be constructive
Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is the pattern of my addiction as well. It may be something that requires extra help to fix.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That seems to happen to me also. Anytime you get the urge to drink eat something,go for a run,drink tea,post here. Think about how better and happy you will feel if you don't give in and drink. No matter how bad things get alcohol will not make anything better. Take care
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there. You have got want to be sober more then you want a drink. Never give up. Take it one day at a time, and no one said it would be easy. A lot of times when you think you want a drink, just eat something. It will bring your blood sugar up. Good luck to you. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Makrellen

next time you get the urge to drink why not make a different decision and come here first?

D
Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same here. I have found that writing down the specific thought in my mind that made me pick up alcohol helped. It's always a thought that makes me pick up. "AV said it was ok one night since worked sucked..." or it's some other rationalization my AV had for me.

If we slip up, we just have to learn and get back out there. I'm only on night three myself. Hang in there.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Makrellen View Post
Hi

I guess this is/was classic for many people here.. anyway

I keep going back and forth.. binge days, to deep frightening depression, to abstinence for some days, thinking "now I quit!".. then back to drinking again

I keep falling into the trap "this is not a problem.. I can drink in weekends only"
And I always end up in the dark hole

How can I stay sober?
Will power seems to work at first only, then I slowly forget how horrible drinking made me

I want to feel good, live my life and be constructive
Welcome to my attempt at recovery. I typically go in 1-2 week bouts of sobriety followed by a horrible crash. You have to tough it out and specifically avoid drinking during your weak period at all costs. Friday night is my weakness and I just spent the whole weekend sober. It was rough at first but I just busied myself with other things and treated myself to something else I enjoy to distract me. It is all about being vigilant at the times when you are weakest.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Write your craving or feeling down. Make a journal.write on SR. Reread your last posts on relapses and how it made you feel. Go to an AA meeting. Read a book.
Think about your decision on the front page of a newspaper and the reaction your family and friends would have. Eat carrots ( very little calories and they keep your mouth busy) Chew some gum Take a walk/hike/run. Grab a coffee/tea/water.
You can drink or do a million different things.
Sure the thought of drinking can be debated in your mind but if you reinforce the fact you don't drink then there is no question.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I completely understand how you feel. I've done the sober/relapse thing for a few years now. Day 1 again for me so I'm in no position to give advice. Just know that you're not alone. Many before us have made lasting sobriety a reality and we can, too.