Notices

Back Pain - what to tell doctor about meds ...

Old 04-27-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Pain - what to tell doctor about meds ...

I think the stress I went through worrying about my health, finally getting to the doctor, then the waiting ... then the release when I got my results ... really did a number on me. Since yesterday, my back has been knotted up and if I move too quickly, my lower back completely locks. Now that I know I can take Tylenol again, I went and got some regular strength. I threw out the Tylenol I had with Codeine because I didn't want ANYthing addictive in the house. But it hurts a lot and I don't know if I can even go to a yoga class.

So, my question is ... let's say I end up having to go to the doctor, I am wondering what the point is if I say "Please don't give me anything that I can abuse or become addicted to." There really isn't anything the doctor can do because anything he will prescribe will be stronger than what I can get at the pharmacy.

I don't want anything to mess with my sobriety. How do you handle pain in this situation? I hope I wake up feeling better, but if this gets worse, I will end up having to be seen. This is all new to me .... up until a month ago, I would have been excited to go to the doctor for my back and lap up whatever they were giving out.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

perhaps you could ask your doctor about a massage therapist?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luisalehz View Post
I think the stress I went through worrying about my health, finally getting to the doctor, then the waiting ... then the release when I got my results ... really did a number on me. Since yesterday, my back has been knotted up and if I move too quickly, my lower back completely locks. Now that I know I can take Tylenol again, I went and got some regular strength. I threw out the Tylenol I had with Codeine because I didn't want ANYthing addictive in the house. But it hurts a lot and I don't know if I can even go to a yoga class.

So, my question is ... let's say I end up having to go to the doctor, I am wondering what the point is if I say "Please don't give me anything that I can abuse or become addicted to." There really isn't anything the doctor can do because anything he will prescribe will be stronger than what I can get at the pharmacy.

I don't want anything to mess with my sobriety. How do you handle pain in this situation? I hope I wake up feeling better, but if this gets worse, I will end up having to be seen. This is all new to me .... up until a month ago, I would have been excited to go to the doctor for my back and lap up whatever they were giving out.
I've had very serious back and neck issues in the past (I had a bulging disk in my neck at one point - could be viewed on an MRI). This is what in the past led me to abuse and dependence on vicodin, fortunately my addiction wasn't too prolonged or extensive, but it *did* happen.

Since I suspect my back or neck problems may come back in the future, my plan is to 1) fully inform my doctor about my history of problems with addiction, particularly as they relate to pain pills, 2) request that he prescribes pain meds as conservatively as possible and 3) if he does prescribe pain pills, get an 'accountability partner' from my program (Lifering) who I would report to about my use, and obviously strictly stick to prescribing guidelines.

I personally don't think someone "in recovery" should suffer through terrible pain just because of their history - but they should be quite careful. Just my two cents.

-DrS
Old 04-27-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

great idea, Chicory.

also maybe a chiropractor, they have helped me a lot
Old 04-27-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

tell your doctor just what the Doc said. ^^^^
Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi luisalehz

There are usually non addictive treatments available - if your Dr knows about your alcoholism they should take that into account but it doesn't hurt to remind them either.

Don't skip too far ahead tho, if Tylenol is doing the trick right now- good

D
Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's also acupuncture. I hear that it is helpful to relieve pain.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

luisalehz be honest with your doctor.

What I would do tonight is go run a hot bath and just soak in there a while. it may do the trick.