SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   sparking water a great substitute (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/330433-sparking-water-great-substitute.html)

letitgo 04-27-2014 02:06 PM

sparking water a great substitute

Having cravings for beer lately. Just the taste and hold of it. I found sparking water to be much more refreshing. It also comes in a bottle and has that feeling. They also have many good flavors. The carbonation reminds me of alcohol. Physically I do not crave any alcohol. Its more of the mental reminder of daily drinking that I am still overcoming. Also using alcohol as a solution to everything. Does anyone have any others drinks they enjoy or suggest?

tnman1967 04-27-2014 02:10 PM

Same here, it's also good since it doesn't contain a bunch of sugar.

Thepatman 04-27-2014 02:29 PM

If it's the same as Perrier mineral water YES!

For me it's all about the bubbles, bubbles I say! LOL!

DocSobrietist 04-27-2014 02:46 PM

I like to take a can of Safeway seltzer water, chug it, and 'feel the burn.' :lmao

-DrS

LBrain 04-27-2014 05:37 PM

funny Doc, I have done this in the past often - not the chugging part. My grocery store has the 'generic' soda water with fruit flavoring added. It's cheap and tasty and is the same thing as the expensive brand of soda water. Not perrier or naturally sparkling mineral water, just plain ole soda water.

Tetra 04-27-2014 06:04 PM

I like a glass of San Pelligrino with a slice of lemon. There are lots of nice non alcoholic drinks out there, such as Shloer (fruity and sparkling)..

Rar 04-27-2014 08:21 PM

I purchase the generic seltzer water. I agree Patman, it's about the bubbles. :) it's very satisfying.

justinJustQuit 04-27-2014 08:23 PM

Mendota lime is my favorite.

SweatyHands 04-27-2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by DocSobrietist (Post 4617826)
I like to take a can of Safeway seltzer water, chug it, and 'feel the burn.' :lmao

-DrS

I was indescribably happy the day that I discovered that drinking a pint of very cold seltzer water really quickly gave me a similar tingle and burn in my belly like the first drink of the day did. It's still a psychological trigger to relieve stress and anxiety. When my brain registers that physical sensation, I have a stress relief reaction.

DoubleBarrel 04-27-2014 08:38 PM

I started with 7up, and moved to lime mineral water, (sparkling), and after a while, it's my favorite. Has that carbonation, zero calories, and now soda tastes WAY too sweet to me.

FeelingGreat 04-27-2014 08:49 PM

I use sparkling MW as a substitute for wine when dining out. It makes a big difference to have something special to drink, as opposed to say, tap water.

DocSobrietist 04-27-2014 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by SweatyHands (Post 4618393)
I was indescribably happy the day that I discovered that drinking a pint of very cold seltzer water really quickly gave me a similar tingle and burn in my belly like the first drink of the day did. It's still a psychological trigger to relieve stress and anxiety. When my brain registers that physical sensation, I have a stress relief reaction.

So you understand what I'm saying!!!! :-)

-DrS

Nightswimming 04-28-2014 01:04 AM

I'm turning into a bit of a 'San Pell' snob haha. Enjoy their fruit sodas as well as just the sparkling water. When I go out with my other half he has a glass of wine and I have a sparkling water and an espresso/Americano. Starting to feel normal to me now although not sure I'll ever really enjoy sitting in a bar again but sometimes needs must.

CodeJob 04-28-2014 02:30 AM

Perrier is so smooth. It is our favorite but so expensive! Then Mendota springs lime then lemon. We have La Croix which has several flavors too. Canada Dry has lemon-lime and a berry. It has been on sale. I see Dasani just came out with Sparklng water but it has not been on sale yet so have not tried.

Johnston 04-28-2014 03:25 AM

Polar Springs has helped me to reduce my coffee intake. I pop a can on my way to work instead of filling up the travel mug with joe.

Nightswimming 04-28-2014 04:46 AM

What's Polar Springs Johnston? Not sure we have that over here.

LBrain 04-28-2014 07:37 AM

polar springs is a new england thing. bottled seltzer. not to be confused with poland spring

Dasani? I don't buy coca-cola products. But for bottled water - this is absolutely true - wal mart water was tested and compared to all of the top brands. And from some other people (including myself) it tastes better than most. wally world scored on this one.

I have started to fill my travel bottle with brita filtered water from home. Can't see wasting a plastic bottle every time I want a drink of water.

gatorgirl67 04-28-2014 07:59 AM

I agree!! I love the La Croix grapefruit with a lemon or a splash of cranberry juice. It is so refereshing!! I drink it every afternoon, to curb my urges during the witching hour.

Coldfusion 04-28-2014 08:01 AM

My wife and I have become addicted to seltzer water. We buy it by the case. I drink all day. I drink before, during, and after dinner, and feel just fine. I drink first thing in the morning, then have a great day. It's the drink of my dreams!

TrickyDave 04-28-2014 08:29 AM

Arrowhead sparking mineral water with lemon flavor. Don't know if they have this across the country or not.

No calories, no salt, good flavor.