Notices

sparking water a great substitute

Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've been sucking seltzer water down like nobody's business since I quit drinking. It does have that initial burn like a beer which I love. I like the Schweppes black cherry or the Canada Dry lemon lime.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Soda Stream!

I got hooked on carbonated water after I quit alcohol over 2 years ago. I drink it all day, every day!

I was buying it by the case and spending too much money so I bought a discounted Soda Stream. I spend $30-$45 a month on CO2 and use my own tap water. Saving some money this way and I don't have to worry about lugging and recycling a bunch of bottles. Very refreshing.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Having cravings for beer lately. Just the taste and hold of it. I found sparking water to be much more refreshing. It also comes in a bottle and has that feeling. They also have many good flavors. The carbonation reminds me of alcohol. Physically I do not crave any alcohol. Its more of the mental reminder of daily drinking that I am still overcoming. Also using alcohol as a solution to everything. Does anyone have any others drinks they enjoy or suggest?
I really like Pellegrino. It feels and tastes like a 'special' beverage and I'll add a little cranberry juice and a lemon or lime. Crisp, refreshing and healthy.

They also make a Pellegrino orange that is awesome.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
What's Polar Springs Johnston? Not sure we have that over here.
Meant to say Polar Seltzer. Made in worcester, MA
Old 04-28-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Is seltzer water what we would call soda water?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyWino View Post
I got hooked on carbonated water after I quit alcohol over 2 years ago. I drink it all day, every day!

I was buying it by the case and spending too much money so I bought a discounted Soda Stream. I spend $30-$45 a month on CO2 and use my own tap water. Saving some money this way and I don't have to worry about lugging and recycling a bunch of bottles. Very refreshing.
My wife got me a Soda Stream last October for my birthday! I love it.

-DrS
Old 04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Is seltzer water what we would call soda water?
I think so, but it is different than tonic water. You can purchase a small bottle to see if you like it. My husband doesn't like it and prefers flavored water. I think the fizz is what makes it so satisfying.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

ah I like all those mineral waters too. But recently had a chinese visitor who brought some beautiful teas, ginger and lemon and fruit, They were good too. Might get some seltzer for my partner see if that helps him.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Rar

I've looked at Soda Streams and would like one, but in my area it seems the price for the carbonation with the amount that I drink, would make it a little more expensive than purchasing it already made. They are awesome machines.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I will tell you what you need to do- get an adapter for your SodaStream to use 12oz paintball tanks. You can get the adapter from Amazon (and other vendors) for maybe $25. That's what mine costs. Then you use a 12of CO2 tank made for paintball guns. You can get them filled at many sporting goods stores and bike shops. In my area you can get the tank filled for under $4 with tax. The Soda Stream bottle is $30 for 14.5oz vs the 12oz paintball tank ($20 to buy the tank and under $4 to refill it) so the SS one lasts a little longer but the cost is vastly higher. I can refill my tank 8-10 times for the cost of one SS bottle and it works exactly the same!

I love my Soda Stream! I don't use the syrups, just soda water with orange oil. That is also available online or in stores. Wal-Mart sells Watkin's orange extract for about $2.80 for a 2oz bottle (and it only takes a few drops). NOTE: extracts have a small amount of alcohol but the few drops isn't an issue for me.

Right now I have three x 12oz tanks on hand! That way I never have to worry about running out.

Like many of you, I searched for a long time for a "replacement" for the wine glass that seemed surgically attached to my hand. I settled on club soda. Perrier and Pellegrino are great but expensive if you drink a lot. My fridge has a water filter in it that filters tap water, and I use it before carbonating. I drink between 3 and 5 liters of essence-flavored soda water per day at an estimated cost of about a dime per bottle (counting the filtering and orange oil).
Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Rar

@ Myth: I'm going to print this out. I drink a minimum of 2 liters a day. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
@ Myth: I'm going to print this out. I drink a minimum of 2 liters a day. Thanks.
Cool! Today I changed the bottle so I thought I'd record how many liters I get from one. I have an old coupon sheet that's expired but one side is blank and the other has a magnet. So I'm making marks for each bottle I carbonate. The maker claims "up to 60 L" from the 14.5 oz tank but I find I prefer a little higher level of "fizz" so I'm guestimating I'd get between 35-45 blasts from a 12 oz paintball tank.

BTW, while I was out and about I picked up a 3rd 12 oz tank! That way I don't have to worry about getting a refill right away if I run out.

If anyone has trouble finding the adapter, shoot me a PM. I can send a link to the product (don't want to post it since commercial links are a no-no).
Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Besides alcohol, I am also addicted to my sodastream.