Notices

Sleepless

Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleepless

Crazy vivid dreams, restless sleep and anxiety. Tired but cant fall to sleep. I used to have a shot before bed. Kind of got used to it.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

It gets better with time. I promise just have to push through.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by 40rocks View Post
Crazy vivid dreams, restless sleep and anxiety. Tired but cant fall to sleep. I used to have a shot before bed. Kind of got used to it.

Yeah, it's not too easy, but you just have to battle through this, the grass is greener on the other side.. Hang tight and you will soon get there.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Stoogy View Post
Yeah, it's not too easy, but you just have to battle through this, the grass is greener on the other side.. Hang tight and you will soon get there.
And, after you do finally sleep, you'll be waking up guilt-free, knowing exactly what you did the night before, and knowing that your body and your mind are healing. Stoogy's right, hang tight and it will all be worth it
Old 04-27-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there, things will settle when your body realizes that you will not feed it poison.

I know how the first few night are, but so worth it.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first week or so can be difficult but the rewards that are waiting are worth the wait.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replys. It helps knowing others have been here.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 40rocks
Welcome to the club!

Don't worry, its not just you, lack of sleep is a quite common side-effect of quitting booze suddenly and abruptly. Personally I struggled to get even 2 hours of sleep a night the first 2 weeks or so, i was like you in a way........ used to do most of my drinking between 5-9 pm and it would calm me down enough so that i would be asleep by 11 or 12 at night max.

The part i highlighted describes my situation to the T in the early days, it was incredibly frustrating, i was tired............... but no sleep. It was such an agonizing experience, i am so glad i am past that grueling phase now.

Only thing i can say is, it DOES get better....... albeit very slowly.

I am day 69 and still only averaging 6 hours of sleep a night, although compared to the measly 1-2 hours of sleep i was getting in the early days it is a HUGE improvement.

Stay strong!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The thing that I find amazing is nearly a year out for me and I'm able to sleep even when I've had the most unbelievably stressful, trying day (of which I have had many lately!).

Previously, when I was drinking daily, a stressful day would keep me up sometimes for several hours at night - my sleep felt much more fragile. Sobriety has made me a champion sleeper....!

-DrS