Notices

It really is progressive..

Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It really is progressive..

About the same time last year I tried to cut down my alcohol intake and kept a record of how much I drank during a month or so. At that point I got wasted 1-2 times a week. But I had full weeks without any alcohol a few times. I could at times stop after a couple of drinks. Today when I look at my consumption, I manage about 3 days without alcohol, I ALWAYS drink too much, even if my kids are around. I think about alcohol every single day and it affects all parts of my life.

This was really good to see, how much worse it got in just one year. Where do I want to be after another year..not where I am currently heading. What I have learnt is that I have to work on my sobriety and never let my guard down.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it does take some work to get sober. Nothing changes if nothing changes, right?
I, too, once kept track of my consumption, it's been so long I've forgotten why. I guess to see in writing how bad I was.

Alcoholism was certainly progressive for me. In the end I was nearly hopeless and helpless. I hope you can quit before you reach that nadir. I couldn't drink and I couldn't not drink. What a mess I was.
For me it took AA. Have you considered that? There are other programs too.
And, of course, there's here.
I hope you can quit before it does progress any further for you. Best to you.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was progressive for me as well. Waking up one day, thinking this not not normal behavior but still kept drinking for years.

It's baffling, cunning, and relentless for lacks of better words.

Good news is that it can be stopped, with hope, courage, and some solid work on our inner demons we tried to drown for so long.

Good luck and stay close to SR, add additional support if you need, AA etc.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes Alcoholism is relentlessly progressive.

You have identified it in yourself.I didn't until I nearly died.

The good news is you need never drink again.

Make a decision to stay away from the first drink,that was the drink that got me into trouble.

It is not easy in the early days,but doable.

Wishing you well.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh boy is it progressive. Started as a weekend drinker. Than, to more during the week because of a hard day's work. Then it turned into everyday, and on my weekends, could even start in the morning. I'm glad you did this to see it yourself. It's shocking how one day you wake up and you realize you have a problem. And another thing to wake up and accept you have a problem and to do something about it.
Good luck, Laura - as Thepatman stated, stay close to AA and utilize a support group. Our veterans know what they are talking about.

Hugs to you!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck Laura and thanks for sharing with us!! It's mind boggling how it can change seemingly quickly.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Woops - meant stay close to SR and utilize a support group - that first cup of coffee hasn't kicked in yet!