Notices

Does this remind you of anybody?

Old 04-26-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Does this remind you of anybody?

My alcoholic week

Monday.... From first I open my eyes I can tell I am still drunk from the weekend. Lean over to drink water I left beside my bed from Friday in hopes that a few sips will hydrate me into sobriety. Get to work woozy and try to be invisible. Look no one in the eye for fear they can tell. The day long.

Tuesday.... Getting ready for work I feel proud of myself because I only had 10 shots last night and can still remember what I had for dinner. Tell myself things are really starting to improve.

Wednesday... I am able to greet my boss at my desk and look up confident I can answer any questions with a clear head. My energy returns a bit. My stomach still in knots from the past weekends exploits. Memories still fuzzy. Guilt and shame are starting to subside until I geta flashback. I cringe. On my way home from work I tell myself I will not drink tonight. Just go get some ice cream and relax. I arrive at the bar by 5:30pm.

Thursday... Forgetting its Thursday and not Friday I wake excited for my weekend.... Until I remember what day it is. Trying to remind myself of the distant past of the weekend before. Guilt and shame seem far away as the time to Friday counts down. At work I am energetic and fun to be around. A stark difference from Monday. People say I must be in a really good mood. No.... Just the weekend is coming. TGIF...

Friday... I jump outta bed. Try and scheme a reason to leave work early. I have a million stories and reasons. A friend of a friend died and have to go to the wake. Need to help a friend with car trouble. Stomach flu. I arrive at the bar by 3pm. Walk down the bar greeting each of the regulars until I get to my bar stool waiting patiently for me. Beer and rocks glass of voldka already at my station.

Saturday... Come too to find my front door still wide open from the night before. I do an inventory check. Cats... TV.... Try to find my wallet and keys. Look in my wallet to see what I don't have in there and check the receipt from the bar to know what time I got home. Say to myself I am never doing that again. I will not drink today. And I believe myself.

Sunday... Come too as the bright sunny day shines through on my face. I turn over to protest. I try to do a weeks worth of chores in a few hours taking breaks because I have the alcoholic flop sweat and my heart is racing. The wallet routine complete I figure I got a good nights sleep all things considering. I will not drink today. And I believe myself.

Monday.... From first I open my eyes I can tell I am still drunk.......

.................................................. ...
That used to be me! Not any more!

I posted this awhile back but since there are so many new folks I thought it was fitting to restate.

Ken
Old 04-26-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

So nice to be off that merry-go-round ,
Thanks for the reminder k ,

m
Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember that thread.

It's so on the ball that it's great you posted it again.

The bs we make ourself believe is unbelievable. Only sober we can see the truth.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder. Hope everyone is enjoying their sobriety this weekend!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To be content

Great reminder Weasel. I do not miss those mornings looking for the wallet, cell phone, upset stomach, and trying to recall the nights events. Clear sober weeks do amazing things for the mind. There are still difficult times, but definitely nothing like that drinking roller coaster.

Monday (or any other day for that matter) opening our eyes not drunk, it's all worth it! Thanks Weasel!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice repost, I hadn't seen it before. That's spot on, especially the way you mention the days of the week and how you felt at the office.

Right on guys: hell yeah it's great to be OFF that merry go round!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I read that story...and cannot believe it was mine.

I just have total disbelief.

Just swap the bar location for the 4 walls of my lounge room...thanks for posting.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Croissant.... Sadly this is everyone's story who drinks. Maybe things vary a bit but the result? The same.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a living nightmare. Thank you for reminding me of what it was like.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can smile and shake my head in recognition today but many moons ago it would have made me cry. I can smile today because it isn't my story anymore Great reminder post!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post, so many reminders!!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Loved it the first time around - needed the reminder. Thank you Ken.