Notices

10 weeks and getting a little stale

Old 04-25-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 weeks and getting a little stale

So it was 10 weeks yesterday - 70 days. Sober living has been a great thing on many levels and it has been getting easier to do. But I'm finding a new challenge at this stage - the initial enthusiasm has started to wane a bit. In other words, I don't feel like I've really accomplished something just by getting through the day without a drink, the way that I did for the first few weeks of sobriety. Now it's just something I sort of expect from myself. But the craving still rears its head from time to time.

Like yesterday. Particularly long, trying day at work but finished up what needed to be done and now I can relax for a few days. Driving home last night, dog tired, I really, really wanted to just hunker down in front of the TV with a 12 pack and shut out the world. I didn't, of course. I just went to bed and read. Didn't really feel successful for my choice, just felt kind of bored and tired, although I know it was the right thing to do. And of course I know I felt 10 times better waking up this morning than I would have if I'd caved. But I think I need to work on maintaining the positive reinforcement of sobriety and not just take it for granted.

I guess it's a little like when you first start drinking. It's new, and fun and exciting - then after it becomes part of your life, it's just something you do, no big thrill. The initial weeks of sobriety were challenging, but at the same time they were new and rewarding.

Thanks all, and have a great, healthy weekend!
Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

70 days is pretty awesome. :-)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
So it was 10 weeks yesterday - 70 days. Sober living has been a great thing on many levels and it has been getting easier to do. But I'm finding a new challenge at this stage - the initial enthusiasm has started to wane a bit. In other words, I don't feel like I've really accomplished something just by getting through the day without a drink, the way that I did for the first few weeks of sobriety. Now it's just something I sort of expect from myself. But the craving still rears its head from time to time.

Like yesterday. Particularly long, trying day at work but finished up what needed to be done and now I can relax for a few days. Driving home last night, dog tired, I really, really wanted to just hunker down in front of the TV with a 12 pack and shut out the world. I didn't, of course. I just went to bed and read. Didn't really feel successful for my choice, just felt kind of bored and tired, although I know it was the right thing to do. And of course I know I felt 10 times better waking up this morning than I would have if I'd caved. But I think I need to work on maintaining the positive reinforcement of sobriety and not just take it for granted.

I guess it's a little like when you first start drinking. It's new, and fun and exciting - then after it becomes part of your life, it's just something you do, no big thrill. The initial weeks of sobriety were challenging, but at the same time they were new and rewarding.

Thanks all, and have a great, healthy weekend!
I can totally relate to your thoughts, it does become less exciting as time passes but I put that down to you winning your personal battle, as you are thinking less and less about timescale compared to the really early days you had to endure.
Do you have and hobbies or pastimes?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes, 70 days is awesome !!! I think our minds gets bored if we keep doing the same thing over and over , no matter what it is. That's a challenge everyone faces, whether you're a recovering ??? or not. That's Life and I think it's Life's way of moving us forward, of saying , "so, how are you going to grow now ? How are you going to shake up your world ? ".
Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks - good points happycampers. To stoogy, yes - as far as hobbies/pastimes I'm a pretty avid biker (pedal kind) and I'm better at it now than I was when I was drinking. Going for a ride sounds like a good way to put the positive reinforcement back into the mix. Thanks - I'm going to do that right now.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes I think about it and conclude that my life is no better since I've gotten clean. That's my addiction talking and my selective memory about the miserable times I went through.

I go to meetings and talk to others and read and post on this forum to remind me of what it was like, and to gain some honest perspective on where I was and where I am now. And I can accept that some days I'm going to feel grateful and spiritual and some days I'm going to feel crummy and blah. For me, using is no longer an option, it is guaranteed misery.

Maybe this discomfort and boredom will result in a deeper acceptance and gratitude for what you have and what you have accomplished. Maybe it will motivate you to take your recovery to a new level or try something new and scary and rewarding in your life.

Thank you for your post and congrats on 70 days. That is huge and I think it is awesome, whether you're feeling it right now or not.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you and congratulations for 70 days sober.

I wonder if you've made other changes in your life besides stopping drinking. I did a couple of new things. I began volunteer work in my community and I started taking long daily walks every evening. Both of those things brought so much joy, peace, beauty and love to my life.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Anna saiys, I needed to make more changes to my life than just not drinking - otherwise my life had this huge alcohol shaped void in it...

Don't be afraid to change routine and mix things up

Being sober is one thing...being sober and happy is better

D