Notices

Moderate Drinker or Functional Alcoholic?

Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by vf1891 View Post
I never thought I had a problem with drinking even though I have drank almost every day since I was a young man. I will be 56 at the end of the month. From 18 to 40 I also smoked pot every day. I gotmarried at 37 and was able to hide the pot for awhile. My wife caught me smoking at home and said it was her or the weed. I missed. the weedfor awhile but have not touched it since.

My wife drank a little so moderate drinking was alright with her. For the last couple of years my wife started complaining that I was drinking too much. I didn't see it that way. My wife wanted me to drink less And skip some days. I didn't like that idea. Drinking was my reward after a hard days work. I didn't drink excessively anyway. She says my personality changed for the worse when I had been drinking.

My habit had been to start the evening with one Lagunitas Maximus, a 10.5% alcohol craft beer. Then I would drink 4 to 6 six ounce glasses of red wine. I never felt intoxicated. I currently weigh 258 lbs and stand 5 ' 10". I think my ideal weight would be about 175.

I polished off a whole bottle of wine on Sunday along with one Maximus. My wife called me on Monday and told me to do what I had to do and she would do what she had to do. I called her back later and told her I would not drink anything until the end of the month.

I felt a little strange on Tuesday, and progressively clearer Wednesday and Thursday. I am feeling good today. I have told my wife it is my intention to not drink again. She is being very supportive.

I am finding it pretty easy to not take that first drink in the evening. I think my biggest problem would be to not take the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th drinks.

I hope that I can continue to abstain. I hope that I can lose some weight also.
Hi and welcome, you have made a great choice in trying to abstain from alcohol completely. It gets better from here on inn once you get beyond the first few days/weeks.

You are not alone by any means. If I thought I could have just the one drink and them stop i guess I would not be typing this right now.
I wish you well.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello vf1891. You sound a lot like me in the way you drank. I would have to agree with others on this thread who believe your son has noticed. Kids notice everything whether we do or not. In fact, they don't miss a trick.

My fiance, who, ironically, comes from a country where they are known for excessive drinking, hardly drinks. When he does, he drinks slowly and never over indulges. One to two maximum. I think a lot of people are in this category. I used to hate them ... LOL. I now look at it like a diabetic looks at sugar and carbs ... I am just not lucky enough to be one of those take it or leave it, moderation drinkers. Sucks to be me. However, I am lucky enough to have good health, go to yoga, enjoy good food, run, etc. etc. A lot of things that others can't go. So I refuse to dwell on my inability to drink in moderation. I work at a hospital and see people everyday who are suffering from something much worse than an inability to drink ... and many don't complain as much as I used to about not being able to drink.

I am happy for you! It sounds like you have a great wife, so take that money you would have spent on that fancy beer and buy her some roses.