Notices

Ways to fight cravings?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ways to fight cravings?

Been sober for 2 weeks now and Im loving it. But the cravings for a sneaky drink are hitting harder than ever! I've been strong and have destracted myself with writing, drawing, walking, cooking, internet searches, movies, playing with my puppy etc etc. These things are now starting to become a tad boring. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance
Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you checked out this thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2 weeks is great! But don't rely on "being strong" - we are used to being "tough" and "strong" in life - it's a typical trait of alcoholics. If non-alcoholics only knew how heroic it is to get through a nasty hangover and the jitters during an average work day, again and again and again, then they would know how tough we are. We go to great lengths to make sure we get what we want, which prior to recovery is a drink. Now we need to do the same thing in recovery - we need to sell out to the idea of sobriety. But ironically, that involves a different kind of thinking, and being strong has little to do with it. It has a lot more to do with surrendering to the idea that we're alcoholic and reaching out for help.

We have to work on changing our thought patterns - to get to the point where we don't have to fight so much. We can just be okay with being alcoholics and knowing that we can Diversionary tactics are good, but not as a sole source of recovery. I would take that hard earned 2 weeks and call someone today - either a peer support recovery group like AA or a drug and alcohol counselor. Either will be able to work with you to outline a program of support and recovery for you. You don't know what you don't know, so give it a try if you like. Remember that recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. If you're bored and having a bad day, that's okay - that's normal. Just get to the end of the day sober and reset for the next day. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This was the topic at my AA group last night. A woman with 3 years of sobriety came in, said she had a relapse and picked up a white chip.

Lots of suggestions about the craving thing. If you have friends that are sober in recovery, call them, text them, make contact. Exercise, read, eat a healthy meal. Be honest with yourself, recognize the craving and take power over it.

Personally, what works best for me is "playing the tape" looking forward to what the results of just what only one drink would do to me, where it would put me. I don't wish to ever start out on day one again. I don't ever wish to detox or have a hangover again. I have had enough pain and one drink, while it may not put me in a bad place on day 1, would in a short amount of time lead to continual drinking and who knows what the aftermath would be. I am brutally honest with myself in that I cannot allow that first drink to take over.

Good luck and hang in there.