Notices

Stay sober weekend thread - 4/25-27

Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
good morning sports fans! some good hockey games yesterday. I woke up an hour before the alarm was set, had breakfast and ready to go play a round of golf - at no cost to me
I will celebrate four months sober today by cutting the grass for the first time I can remember without drinking a beer!

Hi LBrain, what did you shoot at the golf?
Have a great weekend.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

45 on front horrible on back. Had 7 strokes with three left. Blew up 8 8 7.

Still not bad for first official game. Wind was brutal. Expectednto be done in four or less. Sometimes waiting ten minutes between shots. Groups ahead were sloooooooow. Didn't help game. Ended up missing first half of flyers. Watched at a bar. Friend had beer I had tea.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Back from Florida.

Great visit with Mama Non. She made bacon for me - of course!

Wrapping up a sober weekend with a little ginger ale, so grilled burgers, and later Game of Thrones.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

New sheets. Mmm. I still didn't get much done but that is okay. Went to church with the kids and then my husband and I packed the kids into the car with their bikes and went to one of the local cemeteries to teach son how to ride a bike. He never, ever wanted to ride one. He refused a bike with training wheels. Last winter he said he wanted a bike. I picked up a curbside discard Schwinn which is a great boys bike, just needed new tires. He again said he wanted one. He is averse to trying anything new unless he can be perfect at it and doesn't want to be embarrassed. Sound familiar to any of is? Anyway, my husband got him on it, ran alongside him and he peddled off into the distance, just like that. Turned around and came back on his own, no help. I was tearing up, my little boy is growing up. This feeling was more happy, proud, sad than his first day of kindergarten.

Daughter on the other hand. She is almost six and has been tooling around on her bike for over a year but with training wheels. We took them off today because she said she wanted to try. She couldn't do it and had a meltdown. She climbed the hood of the car and was sitting sobbing on the roof. Kicking her bike and trying to throw it. Angry red face and tears. She was angry I think because she wanted to be better than her brother. That she earned that right because she has been riding her bike for over a year and it should come easy for her. Again. Does this sound familiar? Sigh. I hope my children avoid the alcoholism.

On a lighter note, I'm going to roast a pork tenderloin with brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and garlic rub. I had kidded that I wanted pork and candy so why not candied pork? We will see how it tastes.

Kat, sorry your foot is hurt. If you are craving tonight try eating something sugary too. That always helps me.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

What time should I be there for dinner Ruby?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

In about ten minutes . The pork smells fantastic. I'm hoping it tastes as good as it smells. I got the recipe on the internet, of course. I used to be a cookbook junky but I haven't picked one up in ages.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I might be a little late, loooong drive
Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I live by the Portland Maine airport. I walked over at long shadow time to see the planes take off. It was one of those moments you remember because it had an emotion attached.

Sunday evening.

Sober.

Taking a stroll.

Life is very different when you make it different.

You can make it everything you want. Being a drunk made me not want anything different.

Ken
Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

well it sounds like everyone (?) done good. For those that slipped it's great to get right back up!
MrsBee, You reminded me of something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Was reminded about it the other night. I want to get out the old 33 rpm and listen to some old albums - much different sound than on CDs and digital. I'll probably have to find a new stylus. For you younger folks, sti' - luss or what is commonly referred to as the 'needle', knee' - dull. It's the thing that fits into the groove on a record and picks up the vibration turning it into sound.

Tiptree --

Have a good night all. And here's to a great week ahead.

"Stay sober my friends."

Almost forgot, one of the drinkers on the golf course congratulated me on having 4 months today. I thought that was cool.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
well it sounds like everyone (?) done good. For those that slipped it's great to get right back up!
MrsBee, You reminded me of something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Was reminded about it the other night. I want to get out the old 33 rpm and listen to some old albums - much different sound than on CDs and digital. I'll probably have to find a new stylus. For you younger folks, sti' - luss or what is commonly referred to as the 'needle', knee' - dull. It's the thing that fits into the groove on a record and picks up the vibration turning it into sound.

Tiptree --

Have a good night all. And here's to a great week ahead.

"Stay sober my friends."

Almost forgot, one of the drinkers on the golf course congratulated me on having 4 months today. I thought that was cool.
4 months is more than cool, it's awesome Lbrain!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

LBrain... I love spinning records. I had 78's I had 33's I had 45's I love em all.

Now I have iPads, iPods, I phones, I many's!

Have a good night!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Watching planes is always exhilarating to me. We watched trains instead yesterday. The baseball diamond abuts freight tracks. The power of those engines as they rumble past.

Pork was good. Kids ate all theirs and husband had seconds after saying it was the best pork ever. I wish it had Carmelized more. Very easy. Now I have a bunch of browning bananas that need something done with them.

I need a turntable for my LPs. Kids broke the one I had. I agree that it's a totally different sound from digital. Was listening to eurythmics in the car and was thinking about British women pop singers from the eighties. Love Annie Lennox and Alison Moyet. Big voices. I wish I could sing. Time to get kids washed and in bed. A good weekend.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

Pork was good. Kids ate all theirs and husband had seconds after saying it was the best pork ever. I wish it had Carmelized more. Very easy. Now I have a bunch of browning bananas that need something done with them.
I am going to make that pork dish!
Google banana bread with coconut, and lime glaze. Delicious!

Glad you had a good weekend!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Good sober Monday morning!

Getting ready for a busy week this week.

Thanks weekenders for helping me stay sober this weekend! Thanks!

Ken
Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I had little lamb chops for Sunday dinner and roasted asparagus with grey poupon/butter glaze.
My neighbor's kid is learning to ride his bike, as is my nephew's kid...Marcus my neighbor's kid also likes to "grill" with Dad, he is about 7. My great nephew is 4, just got on with training wheels, but it is all he wants to do.
I was standing in Dunkin Donuts yesterday, the local cop is asking for a special caramel mocha shot in his coffee, describing his addiction to it like "liquid crack"?
I guess he was joking....
Old 04-28-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Vinyl is back, guys! There was recently a story on WGN radio about how vinyl sales have gone way up in recent years, and now artists are automatically releasing actual physical albums along with mp3 and cd format now. My husband and I are pretty young (I like to think haha I'm 30 and he's 31) but almost everything we listen to is good old 33rpm format

Hope everyone had a good weekend...I definitely did! Loaded up on ice cream at the AA social last night and actually ran into an old high school buddy of mine. Turns out he's over a year sober and chairs several local meetings here, so he exchanged numbers with us. It's awesome to find a sober "in real life" friend! I love all my other friends, but have been completely in avoidance of them bc drinking often figures heavily into any social equation and I'm not ready for that. I have a couple of friends who I know would be willing to do sober stuff with me but when I see them constantly post drunken exploits on FB, I don't even want to ask them to do so...
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Happy Monday weekenders!!

Out fishing all weekend with my fiance. First totally sober outing for me on our boat since we got it two years ago. Was prepared with my NA bevies in the cooler, and his beer with lime. Have to say my NA drinks were plenty satisfying, and I out fished him!!

Have a great week everyone!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders! I had a wonderful sober weekend with my wife and son. We played outside in the warm weather, prepped our garden, and my wife and I had a date night.

I attended my regular Sunday night AA step meeting last night, and I always leave that meeting feeling refreshed and good for the upcoming work week. My sponsor and I are meeting later this week to go through Steps 2 and 3.

It's good to be sober!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Good morning Weekenders!

Great thread and I too had a great weekend. Tough at times but stayed sober and spend time watching my son's little league baseball games and celebrating my daughters 6th birthday.

Good luck everyone! Stay strong this week.