Notices

The Lore of Day 4

Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Lore of Day 4

Hey everyone,

On Day 4 and woke up feeling good but still had those thoughts of disappointment that I wouldn't be able to drink tonight. I know that's just my AV trying to tempt me and I've gotta resist.

Went to a meeting last night and spoke for the first time which felt great. I'm starting to meet people there which I feel is good. Planning on going to a noon meeting.

I committed to a get together to watch the hockey playoffs which I feel was probably a mistake. I have planned to drive with some friends. I'll be strong but I know in the future I'm going to get better at trying to protect myself from committing to functions where there will probably be booze served.

Ugh.

Gonna be strong!

Have a good one everyone!

Garrison
Old 04-24-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found that by participating in normal events early on in my sobriety, dinners, sporting events etc. helped me realize life is NOT over because I don't drink anymore. Have fun atthe hockey party, just bring your favorite NA beverage!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

comtnman, You are doing great. It is normal to miss drinking. It has been a part of our life. I would suggest if you are going with friends, bring your own drink. If you have a drink in hand they won't offer you one. I bring green tea, but any drink you like will work. You are doing great. Hang in there, it will get easier.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Just remember if at the playoffs if the temptation gets too strong go outside for a few minutes till the urge subsides.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 4 for me today, and I have a girls night tomorrow night. I was thinking about bailing, but knew I would hate missing out. Luckily, it's BYOB, so I will be bringing my sparkling water with a splash of cranberry.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Bringing my own drink tonight is a great idea. I was thinking about bailing but i know there will be people that i haven't seen in awhile so it'd be good to go.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
I was thinking about bailing but i know there will be people that i haven't seen in awhile so it'd be good to go.
Maybe that's your AV trying to tempt you too.

If you had four months sober, maybe it would be good to go. Four days...Not so much.

You said yourself in a post the other day, you need to make sobriety No. 1. Not your social obligations.

If you go, be strong.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We are all rooting for you. Remember, you have the support from all of us on SR, and of course your "in person" support from your fellows at your meetings. If you feel weak at your get-together, and feel like their is no way out, remember that with the pain of the moment comes future strength and resilience. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
Hey everyone,

On Day 4 and woke up feeling good but still had those thoughts of disappointment that I wouldn't be able to drink tonight. I know that's just my AV trying to tempt me and I've gotta resist.

Went to a meeting last night and spoke for the first time which felt great. I'm starting to meet people there which I feel is good. Planning on going to a noon meeting.

I committed to a get together to watch the hockey playoffs which I feel was probably a mistake. I have planned to drive with some friends. I'll be strong but I know in the future I'm going to get better at trying to protect myself from committing to functions where there will probably be booze served.

Ugh.

Gonna be strong!

Have a good one everyone!

Garrison
As time passes the idea of being around drink and drinkers gets a lot easier, I am living proof of that.
Well done so far and keep strong.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep and I regret making the plans so I guess this needs to be a learning experience. I WILL stay sober and driving down there will really help. I think what I really need to do is concentrate on planning things that don't put me in a situation like that. Thanks for all your support.

Garrison
Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rooting for you also.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get through it.

For me that didn't work at all. I found I could get through the evening by struggling greatly, but then the next day I would be out buying wine.

I think it's important to remember that recovery is about much more than just stopping drinking.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you still feel like you want to drink and think you'd be tempted with booze around, don't go near the booze.

If you don't feel like drinking and booze doesn't tempt you, well, probably still avoid the booze.

You can't drink if you never come within arm's length of booze.

Like Humpty said, doowhatchalike, but prudent advice is prudent.