Notices

Does Alcohol Make me Healthier?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Hi, and welcome. My first serious girlfriend (Michelle) was 15 when I met her. At that time, I didn't realize just how much she liked to drink. It was only some years later, after we'd split up, when she called me up begging me to buy her a 5th of vodka that I surmised she might have a little problem. She lived as though she was invincible. Life was just one big party. I didn't hear from her for about 17 years when I got a call from a mutual friend. I asked about Michelle. "Oh, she died very recently. Cirrhosis of the liver. She drank herself to death. She had no one and pretty much died broke and alone. She has a daughter somewhere, but I don't know who has her now."

Michelle was only 38. You have the gift of knowing better, not to mention still being alive. Don't end up like her. Don't let it go to waste!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

when I was drinking daily it seemed to me like I never got sick. If I did I simply don't remember, not even little things like colds or flus. I had this idea that possibly the alcohol was killing any germs or stuff that could get me sick.

Not to try and make your situation positive here, but I remember a story a few years ago on the news about some guy they gave a lethal injection to and had to double or triple the dosage and they said something about his body being resistant possibly because he had been an alcoholic for some years.

Anyways, some of us simply have healthier genes than others is my belief now.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by lifenomad View Post
when I was drinking daily it seemed to me like I never got sick. If I did I simply don't remember, not even little things like colds or flus. I had this idea that possibly the alcohol was killing any germs or stuff that could get me sick.
Ha! I used to tell myself the same thing! I was convinced that the alcohol was "sterilizing" my guts and keeping me immune.

The drinking was making me sicker than all those germs combined.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
"Oh, she died very recently. Cirrhosis of the liver. She drank herself to death. She had no one and pretty much died broke and alone. She has a daughter somewhere, but I don't know who has her now." Michelle was only 38
That is simply heartbreaking, alcohol is a serious business!!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm past the part of telling myself there's no damage but I don't seem to care and I obsess about it at the same time.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've always joked about the same thing, as far as getting sick goes. As a bio major I realize nothing could possibly be further from the truth as it kills immune cells and decreases platelet count. That one still baffles me, not that I'm complaining about not getting sick.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Does anyone here know of people with red/purple discolored knuckles and red spots on the hands that almost look like spider veins? Tips of fingers are red too and always feel ice ******* cold. Not asking for a diagnosis, just if it seems familiar to anyone.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have seen it, my grandpa, before his liver failed and he died with a yellow skin from the pits of hell.

See your doctor please?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When I stopped poisoning myself an amazing number of things cleared up both physical and mental
Old 05-04-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by irishman1st
I have drank more than 2-3 pitchers of light beer, 3-8 shots, 1-2 bombers every night for more than 4-5 years and have been binge drinking before that damn near every weekend.
Uh oh, that's a LOT of booze.

Sounds like you are alcoholic, normal people dont drink that much.......

Originally Posted by irishman1st
Moral of the story, been to 2 different doctors now with 2 different blood tests/physicals. the second one was more intense than the first. everything is completely fine, lungs too, and both ended with them just thinking that I'm a hypochondriac anorexic that needs to bathe in psych meds. how is this possible? am I seeing crappy doctors and I actually should be expecting something to be failing? do I need to be asking for specific tests for alcohol abuse? I don't know ****, this is the first time I've ever "reached out" for help.
Typical, ignore the patient's actual problem and instead right away go with "just take such and such pill"

Sounds like you are with the wrong doctor my friend, im thinking of switching doctors myself for future visits. I went to my usual doctor back in Feb and came clean/told him everything up to and including exactly a close estimate of just how much i was drinking every day, his response? "Here, have this pill" ........ i waited like 2 hours to see him, and then when he finally got around to me? it was over in like 14 minutes, it was a joke. It didn't seem like he cared at all, then again he did have a lot of patients that day so maybe he was just in a hurry? Whatever the case, i was disappointed.

Please get some REAL help before you decide to quit - it sounds like your doctors are missing the point, you are drinking a lot man..........

I'm sure a proper doctor who actually knows about this stuff will be able to advise you on what to do or where to go next. Whatever you do, dont do this alone.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifenomad View Post

Not to try and make your situation positive here, but I remember a story a few years ago on the news about some guy they gave a lethal injection to and had to double or triple the dosage and they said something about his body being resistant possibly because he had been an alcoholic for some years.
While alcohol does kill bacteria, it kills good and bad bacteria alike. Our digestive system is reliant on "good bacteria" to function normally. Furthermore, it kills the cells that line your digestive system.

No use killing germs if you're going to kill yourself at the same time.