Notices

troubled mind. help :/

Old 04-22-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question troubled mind. help :/

Today i had a busy day, but the nagging voice in the back of my mind still kept saying "Hey! Kelly. Go have a drink. It'll be nice." It's a very confusing disease. I reallly don't want to drink because i know what happen if i do but i also want to drink soo bad. I know i can't tho because if i do I'll have to start all over in my recovery, even tho i only have 40 days. Comparisons are bad i know but i keep comparing myself to these people in aa who have 11 months, 2years, even 25 years. I wish i were as strong as them already. Most of them are old men and women talking about kids and grandkids and I'm just sitting there like "yeah I'm 23....you probably think I'm 12." I have really nothing much in common with them. I don't know where I'm going with this other than i think I'm going insane and i don't want to live this way. Constantly being bugged by my brain to feed my addiction
Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Forty days is awesome. If you want to quiet the addictive mind, you stay the course, stay sober. You give in, the addiction wins and it becomes that much harder to shut the voice up.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have to get past 40 days to have 40 years kelly

keep reaching out for support, think about other changes you could make to your life to make this easier and hang in there. It will get better

D
Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I say 40 days is great. Are there any other meeting near you that may have a younger crowd you can relate to better?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just don't drink. That's it. No matter what your brain is trying to tell you, just don't. That is your only job right now.

Call one of the phone numbers of the women in the program Before You Pick Up.

It's okay, we all have those thoughts.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You have to get past 40 days to have 40 years kelly

keep reaching out for support, think about other changes you could make to your life to make this easier and hang in there. It will get better

D
Thanks Dee! That helps a lot...i think I'm going to go see an addictions counselor or just a therapist.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there and yes you do have something in common with every single person in that room. You are all sitting there because you all have a desire to quit drinking. It is hard at first to see past the differences to find the things in common but they are there. If you are uncomfortable with this meeting, try another one because there are meetings with more younger people. Areas around colleges or universities. Where the post college young adults live. There is someplace for you and you will find it but those older people were all you once, trying to quit and stay quit.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Plus, with forty days you are doing great. It gets easier. Just tell the AV to shut up, you aren't having any of that nonsense.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can not wait until I get to 40 days, Congrats on the accomplishment
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in my 40s and I agree sometimes it is hard to relate to others. BUT I see many posts from people in their 20s and I think if you look you will find them. Also, I am impressed you are so young but already smart enough to face your addictions early! That is worth a great deal. I was pretty damn proud of my 40 days and you should be too. Low days are hard and I struggle to celebrate them too.....but you aren't alone!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

40 days is awesome!

You have loads in common with the folks at your meetings because they were where you are now. Keep coming back!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Kellygurl,
I want to congratulate you on your 40 days!!! that is a fantastic accomplishment!!!

keep going gurl! don't believe the lies that the alcohol is trying to get you to listen to. You are doing fantastic, and though it is tough sometimes, they say it gets easier. so wait for the easier days, ok?