Notices

Memories

Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Memories

Today I brought my pet to the vet for a check-up. I was walking back with her in her carrying cage and I was thinking of the last time I took her to the vet...I was so hungover and nauseous...I had to ask to use the toilet at the vets so I could throw up. It was truly awful. The misery. I am so happy I am almost 6 months sober so I can give my baby the proper care she needs and deserves.

This evening I tidied up the kitchen a bit. I gathered up all the empty glass jars (jams, sauces etc.) and put them in a box. I was walking down the hall with the box and the jars were clinking together. All I could think of was all the times I used to sneak out at night with a big bag of empty wine bottles and walk around disposing them into random garbage bins around town. Trying not to make too much noise. The clinking of the bottles and trying not to be seen or heard. Trying to be discreet (but of course I wasn't). I would freeze when a group of people walked by or I heard a car. Thank God I don't have to do that anymore.

I am under a lot of stress these days, but I am so happy I am free!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're under a lot of stress but kudos to you for being a great 'pet mom'. I think it's doing the small, routine things easily that can give us the most pleasure in recovery.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think it's doing the small, routine things easily that can give us the most pleasure in recovery.
That's very true
Old 04-22-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tetra, your post makes me happy for you. So nice that you do not have those shame making situations in your life now. Good for you.

hugs,
chicory
Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anyone who takes good care of their pet(s) is a champion in my book!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Memories can be encouraging to remind of us of how far we have come.

This reminded me of sharing a similar story a while back about being on a week long fishing trip to south Co. Galway last summer, which basically was a week of drinking, the last day on the drive home (there was only me in my car), I felt I was gonna faint at the wheel, the earth was spinning, soo accumulated was the weeklong hangover . . . I thought I was never going to make it, 200 miles should have taken 4hrs max, it took me almost 6hrs, with numerous stops, one such stop ironically was at a hospital in a small town to use their restroom!! . . . it was an awful day!!

The important thing is we don't have to go back to those times Tetra!!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always hated that sound of the empties. My garbage collectors were probably the first apart from my family to know I quit drinking. Yay on celebrating the mundane things we can do sober!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tetra,
Your avatar is my all time favorite on all of SR. I love that little bunny in her little carrot.
I always am so happy for you when you are enjoying being you. It just makes me feel good.
Thank you. That helps me.

You are doing great. ((Hug))