Notices

The anxiety after drinking

Old 04-23-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know every time I choose to drink what I'm gonna face. The dumb thing is that I still chose to do it. Ahh well onwards and upwards because this really has to be end game. I can't drink. I'm highly allergic.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I felt flu like too- I think it is your body expelling toxins. It takes a few days but it gets better. Every day will improve as long as you don't have alcohol. I kept going without by reinforcing the freedom that I never had to feel that way again. Everything in life is a choice.
Take B vitamins, drink lots of water and rest. Be well
Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am just taking it easy. Plenty of water and sleep
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Arrow

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
It's kicking my butt. Has to be the most awful sense of impending doom I've experienced in probably about a year. I've slept for the majority of the past 48hours but the past few hours have been horrendous
I have an anxiety buster,gauranteed to work as long as your will power is strong,at least it did and still does for me.I also had super bad anxiety and still get some very minor anxiety,,,but anyways this is what I did I have been on a health expedition and have discovered that subtracting caffiene & nicotine all the way out of your life 100% will actually reduce your anxiety by at least 80% and at least make it manageable.I can now have social conversation and walk thru stores just fine without anxiety,,try it out everyone,,,I swear it works for me.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishsmacker View Post
I have an anxiety buster,gauranteed to work as long as your will power is strong,at least it did and still does for me.I also had super bad anxiety and still get some very minor anxiety,,,but anyways this is what I did I have been on a health expedition and have discovered that subtracting caffiene & nicotine all the way out of your life 100% will actually reduce your anxiety by at least 80% and at least make it manageable.I can now have social conversation and walk thru stores just fine without anxiety,,try it out everyone,,,I swear it works for me.
I'm happy you found something that worked for your anxiety. I haven't had a drop of caffeine in years and don't smoke and live with anxiety daily. It's nothing compared to the hell I felt when I first stopped drinking and it is manageable, but I can't blame mine on caffeine or nicotine.

13, glad to hear you're taking it easy and keeping hydrated (with water ) It does get better in time - I'm living proof of that!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had really bad anxiety in the first couple of weeks too I've gotta say it was the worst I've ever felt in my life, I didn't even feel in control of my body anymore, it was like I was an actor in my body and the whole world had turned into this hideously dark place where danger and bad news lurked at every corner - I honestly thought I was going mad! I took each day as it came but I noticed that with each day I got the tiniest bit better so that is what I held on to and made it through. It's so hard though, I knew that one drink could make it all go away but in the end that would just kick the can down the road!

My solution to getting better was by drinking lots of chamomile tea, valerian root, talking to friends and family about how I was feeling and doing lots of exercise - swimming especially helped me calm down.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That anxiety cycle is the worst. At night, we feel terrible and turn to the booze to escape, but the next morning's anxiety is far worse than the night before. I can't believe the feelings of shame, guilt, and blaring self hatred that I woke up with every morning. I can't believe it took me so long to realize that the alcohol was the culprit all along...

I'm glad to hear you are doing better 13, just keep your eyes on the prize; you can do it!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. I did self detoxs at home. Hot and cold sweats. Felt like a wolf ate me and crapped me over a cliff. After a period of being sober I would start binging again. Then another self detox. This was a cycle of pure insanity. I was hopeless and in a dark place. Then instead of dealing with the problem alone, I checked into a clinic and got help and a sober living program going with a daily support structure including AA. I don't know if I will make it or not, but I want to stay sober for myself and not go through hell over and over and over again. I've only been sober for 54 days on this stint. I doubt I have another relapse/recovery cycle in me. I've got heart disease and other medical problems now. The next one will probably take me out.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hang in there!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You're definitely not alone! Glad you're here. I had the worst anxiety and feelings of impending doom after drinking and it consumed me. Now that I look back, I can't believe I was able to even function from day to day at my job. Take one day at a time, and you have support here.

Mike
Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Anxiety the day after drinking was the main reason I quit drinking. It became a case of alcohol being both the cause and the cure for my anxiety when I was actively drinking. As others have said, and just for some added reassurance, my anxiety has diminished greatly now I'm sober. I'm not qualified to speak about the science of it all, but I'm pretty sure it's do with alcohols affect on the GABA receptors in the brain that causes most of the anxiety during withdrawal.

Being stuck in the alcohol-anxiety cycle is awful and I sincerely hope that you get through it. You'll start to feel better with more sober time under your belt.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Matty I usually am sober these days - last weekend was a bad place to be in emotionally for me. I don't generally struggle to say no to drink these days unless I'm having a hard time with my reality.

I realise now that it's probably more of a unhealthy crutch I have when times are tough as opposed to the physical and mental dependence.

Regardless of that though it's still a problem for me because of how I act and how I feel afterwards and even during these times.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have underlying, clinically significant anxiety issues. So imagine the drinking anxiety COMPOUNDING with that. Utterly unbearable. Hence, I reach for a benzo. And so the cycle begins.