Notices

therapist....eeeeekkkkk

Old 04-22-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

therapist....eeeeekkkkk

within the hour I will be meeting with an substance control therapist. I am nervous as all get out! What do I say? do i just blurt out what i have done and my deepest darkest secrets? Stuff that i have told NO one ever!? my palms are super sweaty and i am not even in the office yet!!!! 11 days sober today and i am feeling great besides this overwelming anxiety attack that is knocking at my chest wall! What do I say? Hi? that just sounds ridiculous!!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

just answer the questions m'am.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I've done this. I'm typing fast in hopes you'll set his before going.

In my experience the initial meeting was very structured. Lots of questions and answers. Surveys, etc.

It was draining emotionally. I felt wiped after but also I didn't feel judged as it was her area of expertise.

My advice is to expect it will be emotional and draining but that it's a step in the right direction.

To get the best plan together, the therapist has to collect "data."

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be as honest as possible! I lied a lot because I was embarrassed...but it only hindered my progress.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Often times the therapist is one of us......I am
Old 04-22-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just tell the truth. You can ask the therapist how the session is intended to work and what type of information you would be best to share. You don't have to work it out on your own, and you don't have to immediately blurt out your darkest secrets. You also get to evaluate if this is someone feel comfortable working with and telling those things to.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Start with what you just shared with us. You are there, in part, to discuss how you feel. You'll do fine. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well that just was not what i wanted!!! She wanted me to join a group that is for addicts that are forced by law to join the program, wanted me to sign up for residental, told me that i am going to crash~either my car, break a bone, my liver will fail, or go on a huge bender! WTF!?!? i volunteered to go in to find help not be told i need to do this and that. I am not court ordered at all and she questioned that not once but twice.

Not happy camper at all! She also told me that alcohol was out in the parking lot doing push ups to get ready for me as soon as i walk out the door! COME ON! I know that i am struggling hence the reason that i am there, don't make my positive movement of me being sober a negative one. you my dear were wrong. i went in all positive knowing i was going on the right track and look now i am more pissed off than anything. Still sober...and that is what direction i will go for now and forever. I dont need residental nor group therapy. i just needed one on one. thanks for the reponses before i went in!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jeeeeze. I wasn't expecting that either. I hope you didn't have to pay for that. Is there another "therapist" you want to risk trying it again with?
Obviously this was not a mental health professional. I think you went to a rehab extension unit. You need to find a real therapist.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Wow, what a huge disappointment! Sorry it turned out of that way. Unfortunately, there are some in the addictions treatment industry who do more to discourage addicts and drive them back to their addictions than actually treat them for them.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, no! I understand how you feel. I went for an outpatient intake appointment once. The woman chatted with me for a bit and then said she was going to go get the director to introduce to me. She came back with four people and a surprise breathalyzer. One of them stood outside the door and said she'd been doing this twenty years and could smell the alcohol on me from there.

I was 0.0! Definitely angry and put off by that. Don't let it get in the way of your progress. There are plenty of good, caring and helpful therapists out there.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd be looking for another counselor.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lunachild View Post

I am not court ordered at all and she questioned that not once but twice.
sounds like to say the least
she was not paying very good attention
not a good sign to see in a counselor

maybe another counselor would be sharper -- towards your exact situation ?

do you go to meetings ? they have helped many
Old 04-22-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lunachild View Post
Well that just was not what i wanted!!! She wanted me to join a group that is for addicts that are forced by law to join the program, wanted me to sign up for residental, told me that i am going to crash~either my car, break a bone, my liver will fail, or go on a huge bender! WTF!?!? i volunteered to go in to find help not be told i need to do this and that. I am not court ordered at all and she questioned that not once but twice.

Not happy camper at all! She also told me that alcohol was out in the parking lot doing push ups to get ready for me as soon as i walk out the door! COME ON! I know that i am struggling hence the reason that i am there, don't make my positive movement of me being sober a negative one. you my dear were wrong. i went in all positive knowing i was going on the right track and look now i am more pissed off than anything. Still sober...and that is what direction i will go for now and forever. I dont need residental nor group therapy. i just needed one on one. thanks for the reponses before i went in!
Congrats on your time sober LUNA, my present counselor told me there are those that exaggerate intakes to try to scam people into programs to make more money from the state or insurance or medicaid! Seems a little low to me . But I have seen it personally when I completed a outpatient program and was discharged but went weekly afterwards because I liked the other people in the group and felt we were helping each other. The Head Therapist had a degree in "recreational Therapy" whatever the hell that is? After the clinic got flooded out after Sandy, I never heard from him or anyone else for 18 months , when they reached out to me asking if I was ok, and if I wanted to join their new clinic, I called and asked them not to call me anymore and dare say some of the other clients had od'd, or otherwise got messed up! Keep coming here , the other people here on SR have helped me more than a million clinics and I have finished 2 and redoing another to please my probation officer! Mo money! Keep up your good work and learn to live sober, you will LOVE yourself ,alot! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yikes! Your experience should have been a LOT better. Don't get discouraged, find another, it is WORTH it! My therapist is
Amazing! I
Now look forward to seeing him because he helps me with a lot of things in my
Life that trigger my drinking. Hang in an I am sorry you didn't find any relief.