Notices

Summer fun without the drinking - How?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Compass7 View Post
Summer fun without the drinking - How?
1. Able to get up and see the sunrise.

2. Not laying in bed until noon then being sick until 5.

3. Having an extra $100 bucks in your pocket on Saturday morning...$200 by Sunday Morning

4. Taking that extra $200 bucks and buying a bike to ride instead of pi*s*ng it down the toilet.

5. Riding a bike on a gorgeous summer day without being hungover.

6. Being proud of the fact that you are overcoming your drinking problem and seeing how colorful a sunset is through crystal clear eyes.

7. Having another $200 bucks next weekend to go to the outlets with and shop and buy some great new clothes for the great new you.

8. Getting to work early on Monday so you can scoot out early and go to the gym and do 5 miles on the treadmill to get ready for the big hike next weekend.

9. Getting to bed early on Tuesday and lay there and relax listening to your favorite music on your new iPod you bought with the money you saved by not drinking.

10. Getting to work on Friday and enjoy co-workers telling you that you look great.

11. Get in your car Friday night, roll all the windows down because it's 80 out. Crank up the tunes and drive all you want with no worries if you get pulled over.

12. Get up at 6:00 AM on Saturday. Ride that bike to breakfast. Sip coffee and enjoy a weekend morning like you haven't in years.

13. Realize after 2 months of not making the bar owner rich by staying sober you can afford a Harley and still have money left over.

14. Buy a Harley! (Yes I did!!)

15. Start walking 5 miles a day instead of sitting in a stank, stale bar.

16. Lose 15 lbs by walking the 5 miles a day instead of sitting in a stank, stale bar.

17. Fitting into those shorts that haven't fit you in 5 years.

18. Go to Church on Sunday morning and leave a $20 in the collection plate. The cost of one round if you went out the night before.

19. After 6 months sober running your first 5K at the age of 50.

20. Remembering the July 4th fireworks instead of getting plowed and not even remembering it's July 4th.

And that's just the start. Fall and winter get even better.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bucolic View Post
1. Able to get up and see the sunrise.

2. Not laying in bed until noon then being sick until 5.

3. Having an extra $100 bucks in your pocket on Saturday morning...$200 by Sunday Morning

4. Taking that extra $200 bucks and buying a bike to ride instead of pi*s*ng it down the toilet.

5. Riding a bike on a gorgeous summer day without being hungover.

6. Being proud of the fact that you are overcoming your drinking problem and seeing how colorful a sunset is through crystal clear eyes.

7. Having another $200 bucks next weekend to go to the outlets with and shop and buy some great new clothes for the great new you.

8. Getting to work early on Monday so you can scoot out early and go to the gym and do 5 miles on the treadmill to get ready for the big hike next weekend.

9. Getting to bed early on Tuesday and lay there and relax listening to your favorite music on your new iPod you bought with the money you saved by not drinking.

10. Getting to work on Friday and enjoy co-workers telling you that you look great.

11. Get in your car Friday night, roll all the windows down because it's 80 out. Crank up the tunes and drive all you want with no worries if you get pulled over.

12. Get up at 6:00 AM on Saturday. Ride that bike to breakfast. Sip coffee and enjoy a weekend morning like you haven't in years.

13. Realize after 2 months of not making the bar owner rich by staying sober you can afford a Harley and still have money left over.

14. Buy a Harley! (Yes I did!!)

15. Start walking 5 miles a day instead of sitting in a stank, stale bar.

16. Lose 15 lbs by walking the 5 miles a day instead of sitting in a stank, stale bar.

17. Fitting into those shorts that haven't fit you in 5 years.

18. Go to Church on Sunday morning and leave a $20 in the collection plate. The cost of one round if you went out the night before.

19. After 6 months sober running your first 5K at the age of 50.

20. Remembering the July 4th fireworks instead of getting plowed and not even remembering it's July 4th.

And that's just the start. Fall and winter get even better.

LOVE this!!!

Except #11 I have to get my tags renewed!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Compass7 View Post
Went for a hike today, t-shirt weather for once. It's 7 days since my last drink. Got back to my place and my neighbors offered me a beer and to sit on their back patio (It's usually 5 beers with them before I went home to my own beverages). I told them I'm on a health kick and had to do some studies later. I tried sobriety in March, but didn't make it long. I realized I need avoidance of drinking events, bars, some friends and a stronger plan.

I really enjoyed today sober, saw the sunset and remembered it. But I also felt sad. This warm Spring day reminded me of barbeques and beer, bonfires and beer, sitting on the patio with my neighbors and a beer. I am also getting a new kayaking buddy-friend who moved close to me. I know she likes to drink too. I used to take beers out in a cooler in my kayak, wine kayak camping, a flask of tequila backpacking. I thought not being cooped up after a long hard winter would help with sobriety, but today it seemed harder. How do you manage to change all your habits? I did not realize I had so many habits that involved drinking, it was such a part of living.
I didn't change all of my habits just the one that was going to kill me! Good Job! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-22-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To be content

Thank you. I get you Weaver. I didn't let it bother me. I'm not sure it is what he intended, but it was blunt and left open to interpretation. I wasn't trying to paint a pretty picture. Alcohol has caused a lot of trouble and lack of progression in my life. I did not include that, but sometimes I get tired of talking about all the negative stuff. I really appreciate it Weaver
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I remember 10 years ago, driving passed the bar scene, and feeling like I was the one in the fish bowl, looking out. I was the oddity, and I wanted what they had.
The truth is, I can't and I never will. My greedy guts wants what they have, and more. To the point, I can't stop. I keep searching for the elixer, and it doesn't exist for me. Like a fish with its lips pressed against the glass bowl,of my confines,I want what is external, I want what I am not built to have. I was born an alcoholic, and like the fish, I have to be content with my limitations. You can't make fish a mammal.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I am hoping that this summer will be more fun without booze.

I will be doing something new...my uncle died of cancer last September so I am doing a mountain climb this summer to raise money for a cancer charity. I've never done that before because I was otherwise engaged with drink or a hangover.

Hang in there, it does get better!
Tetra, I guarantee it will be better, Ii know I look forward to seeing the sun coming up , not squinting to get it out of my face! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Facing this summer with fear as well....left a shift at my restaurant job and went walking afterwards, enjoyed the beautiful day. Spent afternoon with my kids and laying in bed exhausted! Before it would have been shift...drink. Planning my upcoming days like this will be a major strategy for me. Not looking for the huge victory, but a string of small wins! Nits going to be a challenge, let's all stick it out together!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
To be content

bucolic I ditto Weaver that was awesome and I would like to hear your Fall and Winter versions too! Please share. That's a great idea to create a list.

Tetra enjoy your mt climb for cancer charity and in remembrance of your uncle. Way to go doing something you have never done before. You will probably get hooked. At least it something we don't have to worry about being hooked too

EJ, I like it a string of small wins! Right there with ya for the challenge!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm happy to know I'm not the only one feeling this way as of late. My neighbor's are drinkers and when it gets nice everyone comes out to visit and drink. I'm not looking forward to this summer, but I do I have some new hobbies to keep me busy. Thanks for the post Compass7!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I know that this probably won't make sense to you yet.

Last year I spent my first summer sober and had a few issues here and there with barbecues and the like but I got through it.

This summer I am very much looking forward to attending those same events and not drinking and leaving the same person that I came as. I actually find it a relief now when I look towards those events and know that I don't have to worry. I can drive home and not worry, I don't have to leave early because I need to go home and drink more, it's actually a very peaceful feeling.

As much as your mind might tell you right now that you can't have fun without drinking you will soon recognize that alcohol and fun are not synonymous. I have far more fun now than I ever did when I was drinking.

Cut yourself a break this summer and don't attend if you're concerned that you might drink. You will come to see through the lie that addiction and alcohol is. I promise.