Notices

Using SR: newbies & old-timers

Old 04-21-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

Using SR: newbies & old-timers

I've seen some recent new members asking directional advice on using SR and also asking if SR can be used as a sole means of support in recovery. SR is my main daily support, & I thought newcomers might learn from my experience in how I use SR, and other people who lean heavily on SR might also share their experiences on this thread.

1) First thing, almost as soon as I found SR, I joined a Class for people getting sober in the same month as me. It took me a while to develop a commitment to a class, but I've been posting almost daily to one class for more than a year now.

2) Pretty soon I added a daily post to a gratitude thread. You can find different lists under the heading The Gratitude List.

3) After a while, I found I wanted more support and interaction, so I joined the One Year & Under Club, also under Daily Support Threads. There's also a club for Over One Year.

4) I started doing things under the Social Groups heading, like interactive games. Nowadays, I post a couple of times a day to one of the interactive games or another purely social thread.

5) Recently I joined another Class, and started to participated in the 24 Hour Club. Now the first thing I do in the morning is sign on for another 24 hours sober.

6) I continue to participate in Newcomers and welcome people who are new, and I hope to do that more as I accumulate more sober time.

Logging in to SR starts my day right, and I don't make any important decisions that trouble me without checking in here. I have other kinds of face-to-face support, but intensive use of SR has helped me more than anything. I'm really grateful for that, and hope others out there find my experience to be helpful. SR can really help you change your life, if you make it a significant part of your life. It's up to you, what you put into it! I wish everyone strength and happiness in their recovery!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

SR and counseling are my sobriety tools. I have learned a lot from the people here and I credit a lot of my sobriety to this site.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I concur least. I never dreamed it could help me the way it has. I have over 6 yrs. now after trying for decades.

Thank you for a lovely post courage2.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the benefits of SR. I arrived here in 2003, having been in recovery for a few years, but needing more. I've never left.

The other thing that has helped me is books. The book list on all aspects of recovery is in the Sticky's at the top of the Newcomers forum.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with the above posters. I enrolled in an IOP at the request or should I say with the urging of my family. Becoming a member of SR was MY choice. I learned a little from my IOP. (I already went thru a substance abuse program my first go around) But I learned much more here at SR. I think becoming a member of this forum was the BEST thing I did for my recovery!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love this post. I came to SR four days sober. The support has been amazing. I post in the 24 hour thread every morning, try never to miss a meeting and read and answer posts every day. It keeps my mind right. If I have a problem, I post and I have always been given support. This is my support group. Some day I may go to an AA meeting, I just have not done so yet. I don't think I could make it without SR. I love the people here.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I doubt very much if I'd be alive had I not found this community.
It's a great thing to be part of

D