Notices

Breaking the Cycle

Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breaking the Cycle

Over the past 5 years my drinking has gotten progressively worse, especially over the last couple years. I've tried to set rules that I keep for a little bit, even going a month here or there without drinking. Only to forget why I stopped drinking in the first place. I tell myself maybe I didn't really try to set rules. I could moderate if I wanted to. If I just don't buy hard alcohol I could have a glass of wine at dinner. Its just a few drinks on vacation. Etc Etc. That always works for a few weeks, then I slide right back in to getting drunk every night. And each slide is worse than the last.

I'm sitting in my office today completely hung over after telling myself I wouldn't drink yesterday, and I snapped at my little girl this morning over something completely stupid. Enough is enough already -- time to break this cycle. I think I finally get that I'll never be able to drink like most "normal" people.

I've been lurking on here for a while on and off. I'll be sticking around this time.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome rusting. I'm glad you decided to post - you're among friends who truly understand.

That was the hardest thing for me too - finally realizing that I couldn't touch it or bad things would happen. I spent decades trying to moderate and all roads led to disaster. The only way I could stay safe and be sure nothing awful would happen was to stop pouring it down my throat. After 30 yrs. of playing with it - I'm finally free. You can do this. You've made a wise choice.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, rusting. Glad found the site and decided to post. You will find a lot of support and understanding here.

You are not alone. I never had any success in moderation either.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You've made a wise decision and we're here to support you in your goal to stay sober.